Hyper converged or not

Craig St George

Jul 31, 2018
I am looking for some recommendations. I m looking at building a 3 node cluster for about 50 Linux VM's to start. They are quite intensive 32GB ram 4 or 8 CPU ( don't ask me why its what the customer says they need but 8 cpu is crazy as will be fighting for cores )

Anyway lets say 32GB ram 4 CPU and SSD backed disks. The Compute nodes have 2 X 16 core CPU and plenty of RAM
and 2 x 10GBe plu 1GBe.

Our engineering guys say they think the Ceph nodes should be standalone as they are worried about enough CPU for the OSD etc.

My question is in a standalone setup should I just setup Ceph separately and use the storage as external RBD.

Or the other option would be to install Promox on all nodes e.g Compute and Storage and then Proxmox could also manage the storage or is that overkill ?

Let me know if there are any best practice or recommendations

Thanks

Both solutions are ok, but installing proxmox on the storage nodes would give you a nice simple management and installation for CEPH as well as a common GUI. If you put the storage nodes also in the cluster you earn:

-> common GUI
-> possibility to use the storage nodes for some VM's with low(er) requirements

btw. we run some clusters with ceph and VM's one the same node very well

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!