hpn-ssh - is there a reason not to use?

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello
I've installed hpn-ssh on a couple of test pve systems today. initial tests show a doubling in rsync speeds between the systems.

before putting hpn-ssh to production systems I'd like to know if others have done so, and how it has been working out.

Hello RobFantini

I've installed hpn-ssh on a couple of test pve systems today. initial tests show a doubling in rsync speeds between the systems.

before putting hpn-ssh to production systems I'd like to know if others have done so, and how it has been working out.

Not yet - but sounds interesting and I will verify it a.s.a.p. and post my impressions.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

there was a blog that had info on making hpn-ssh debs , http://blog.admiralakber.com . however that account is suspended.

these are my notes in case it helps. I'll attach the diff file.
Code:
# got this from http://pastebin.com/wMCLfVhT :
# /fbc/adm/hpn-ssh/openssh-6.0p1-hpn13v13-ismo.diff.txt

mkdir -p  /usr/src/hpn-ssh/work
cd /usr/src/hpn-ssh/work

#  put deb-src to /etc/apt/sources.list  NOT BACKPORTS as hpn-ssh patch not avail for bp ver

apt-get install fakeroot quilt

apt-get build-dep openssh

apt-get source openssh

cd /usr/src/hpn-ssh/work/openssh-6.0p1

patch <      /fbc/adm/hpn-ssh/openssh-6.0p1-hpn13v13-ismo.diff.txt

dpkg-source --commit

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -j4

cd ..
dpkg -i *.deb
apt-get install -f

mv /etc/ssh/sshd_config /etc/ssh/sshd_config.ori
cp /usr/src/hpn-ssh/work/openssh-6.0p1/sshd_config /etc/ssh

# set these inb /etc/ssh/sshd_config : 
NoneEnabled yes
# needed , else no transfer from non hpn-ssh . and maybe hpn-ssh remote
TcpRcvBufPoll=no

I tried to upload/attach the patch, it was too large. try getting it here: http://pastebin.com/wMCLfVhT . if that is not avail let me know I'll share it somehow.

Last edited:
note that this needs to be solved: apt-get upgrade for the systems using above may try to replace the hpn-ssh we built with an updated openssh deb...

edit:

A test system did have an openssh upgrade done , after that sshd was broken. These showed up in syslog:

Code:
# Dec 23 20:37:20 home4 sshd[104923]: error: rexec: line 122: Bad configuration option: TcpRcvBufPoll
# Dec 23 20:37:20 home4 sshd[104923]: error: rexec: line 125: Bad configuration option: NoneEnabled

Luckily the system was in my cellar and not a 15 mile drive.

So next I'll have to figure out:
1- how to use a different name for the package
2- stay informed of Debian security patches to know it is time to rebuild then re-install hpn-ssh

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!