HPET Support (on or off, 32-bit or 64-bit)?

Jul 3, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi - I looked through Wasim's book, on the Wiki, via search here and asked on ##proxmox on freenode.

As I've not found an answer..

During boot I see that "clocksource tsc unstable". Googling leads me to note that clock source is related to HPET.

• I found
    [*]http://superuser.com/questions/393969/what-does-clocksource-tsc-unstable-mean
    [*]might be because KVM was installed
    [*]http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/13621-Clocksource-tsc-unstable-with-CentOS-6-4-on-Proxmox-2-3-KVM says:
    [*][h=2]
    icon1.png
    Re: Clocksource tsc unstable with CentOS 6.4 on Proxmox 2.3 / KVM[/h]
    1. Make sure /boot is mounted (if necessary)
    2. In /boot/grub/grub.conf add "clocksource_failover=acpi_pm" to the end of the kernel line
    3. Reboot

Aternatively, try "clocksource=acpi_pm"​

But that doesn't answer whether there is a recommended setting for use with proxmox.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Martin.

I dont think there is a "recommended" setting to be used with Proxmox as it is not to make Virtual environment any better performant.
HPET is just upgraded version of RTC with much higher resolution counter. For about 95% users HPET wont make much difference. In newer motherboards HPET setting is found on Southbridge settings. Proxmox sits on top a Linux kernel. So whatever Kernel does Proxmox KVM will inherit.
Those errors are not critical obviously. To answer the original question, in my opinion there are no recommended settings for Proxmox to use or not to use HPET.

Hi, centos 6.4 should use kvmclock as clocksource

what is the output of ?

echo /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

(Edit : sorry, I thinked it was for guest setup. For proxmox host, you can use default setup. But always use ntp to be sure to be sync.)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!