HP SAN + Proxmox = love ?

macleod

Aug 3, 2017
A lot of (old) related posts in forum, let's see if something changed in 2021 :p

Giving an HP MSA SAN, connected (Fiber Channel) to some HP servers, what will be the best solution to use SOME (not exclusively) of the SAN disk space with proxmox ?

AFAIK, the recommended method is creating and exporting a LUN, viewed as block device on servers, put LVM on top and add that LVM in Proxmox as LVM shared storage.
Pros: shared storage, HA, live migrations
Cons: no snapshots (I can live without); LVM only thick - well, this is a thing to consider

2. using a shared file system, presented to Proxmox as directory
- OCFS is not loved these days, and using it as a shared storage for big forest of directories is a definitely NO, but in this scenario (relative small number of files - aka vm disks) can give a shot ...
- any other recommendation of a good block shared file system which can be used as proxmox vm storage ?

3. as I read in the specs, some HP SAN models offers NFS export; did anyone has some feedback to share ? (although I can't see any other way than sharing the same port/network as the iscsi port/network ... )

any other idea I didn't think about ?

thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!