HP DL380 Gen10 PVE advice for Raid Controller

Sep 19, 2012
Hi there,

Im configuring my first HPE-Server and need your help. We would like to use the standard Controller P408i-a in RAID10 Mode or HBA-Mode(is it working correctly?) - has anybody expierence if its working fine? If not, what would be better?

Second, apart from HP-specific, I'm thinking of using a separate set of disks for proxmox. We usually installed it all on one Volume - no problems so far but feels not so good, what do you think?

Thanks for your answers!

PVE 6.3 uses the Ubuntu 20.04 kernel, so if the controller is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04, it should also be compatible with PVE.
If you plan on using ZFS or Ceph, please use an HBA instead of a RAID controller [0].

What do you mean by 'using a separate set of disks for proxmox'?

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_zfs

that's actually a good question. On the DL360 I have to put the boot on the smartcard to be able to use the hba mode. Is there anyway to do it during the installation?

Thanks for answering, I mean if proxmox should be installed on a seperate disk instead of direct on the same zfs volume where the vms run.
That is up to you, but if you can it wouldn't hurt to separate the two.
If you are thinking about using ZFS then you really should not use a RAID controller. Get an HBA instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!