thanneman

Jan 16, 2021
This one has me scratching my head. I have a HP Proliant DL360P Gen 8 with a HP 530SFP+ card connected to one of my Unifi switches via a DAC cable. Proxmox (6.3-3) seems to see the card, but it appears to not be on when I look in the Unifi controller. This same server had no issues with this NIC when I had ESXi 7 on it.

I'm also hampered by not being familiar with Proxmox and this linux distro. I've spent sometime searching for solutions, but the few references to similar issues are dormant posts with no resolution.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Upgraded to the very latest firmware ( 7.18.2) for the HP530SFP+. An experience of its own to figure out from Red Hat RPM off HP website. Still same panic dump if i turn on VLAN Aware.

Last edited:
Disabling hardware offloading seemed to have no effect. (ethtool -K ens1f0 gro off gso off tso off)

can you send dmesg logs ?

maybe it should be send to kernel mailing list.

bnx drivers sucks since years (I never used broadcom nics since 10 years ago, I always had problem with them, different model, different drivers (bnx2, bnx2x,)...

Hi!
I got some further infos about this, as I was also affected with the VLAN aware stuff on the HP 530SFP+ FlexiLom and invested some time there.
I nearly got it working. But only nearly and in a very strange way...
Maybe it gives hints to others when I post my adventure story here :)

Code:
iface vmbr0
  bridge-vlan-aware yes
  bridge-ports eno1
  bridge-vids 1, 800-900
  bridge-pvid 1
  • I had to reduce the amount of configured VLANs.
  • Then I had to include VLAN1 !?! in the allowed VLAN list
  • And finally add VLAN 1 as a PVID
After a reboot of the server the pesky panic messages where gone.
But still I was not able to reach my Default GW.
For debugging reasons I started pinging my Def-GW and in a separate Terminal
Code:
tcpdump -i eno1 -vvv
was started.
As soon as the tcpdump data showed up on the terminal, the Ping started working and the GUI was reachable!
Nice!
But as soon as I killed the tcpdump, the reachability was also gone! :oops:
Starting tcpdump again brought the connectivity up again.
So I started playing around with the
Bash:
bridge-ageing
which enables more or less the promiscuous mode on a vlan-aware bridge.

As this also did not change the situation, the story for me was over and I returned the 530SFP+ FlexiLom cards and went with the 560SFP+ thingies as they are Intel based. :D

Bye! :cool:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!