[SOLVED] hp 10Gb nics in full meshed network strange slow performance

silvered.dragon

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2015
Hi friends,
I have 3 node ceph cluster with identical server and configuration.
The ceph network is made by dual 10Gb HP 533FLR nics in a full meshed network.
with command Iperf

- from node1 to every node and from node2 to every node,
I always obtain a maximum throughput of 6,70 Gb/s.
Instead
- from node3 to every node I always got 9.9Gb/s.
same hardware
same servers
same proxmox
same twinax sfp+ copper cables
jambo frame enabled on every nic
cannot figure out where is the difference beetween node3 and the others.

Only difference I found was with lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
on node 3 I got

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 11)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 11)

on other nodes

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

solved:
sorry for the useless post but maybe it can be nice to know how I fixed this - in BIOS properties you have to setup QPI resources to maximum performance and in system power management setup to maximum consumption.
In bios POST you will notice 8 GT/s QPI before was 6,4.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!