HowTo: Install Proxmox Mail Gateway on OpenVZ

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
HowTo: Install Proxmox Mail Gateway 2.1 on OpenVZ

HowTo: Install Proxmox Mail Gateway on OpenVZ

Beginning from now, we will deliver and support Proxmox Mail Gateway for running on OpenVZ. OpenVZ is an Operating System-level server virtualization solution, built on Linux. For details about OpenVZ, please visit http://openvz.org/.

Benefits of OpenVZ:

- OpenVZ is the fastest virtualization solution for Linux Systems and Proxmox
- Live migration from one physical server to another without downtime
- Easy backup and restore: Proxmox will deliver vzdump, an easy to use backup and restore tool, OpenSource licensed.

First, you need a running OpenVZ server. If you are not familar with OpenVZ, see this external HowTo:
We did all test with Centos 4.4 and kernel 2.6.9 as this is very stable.
(update: Proxmox 2.1 is also tested with openvz kernel 2.6.18)

Proxmox OpenVZ Installation

Hardware requirements for the OpenVZ Server: 1 GB ram (more is better) and 2 GHZ CPU, reliable Harddrives

http://wiki.openvz.org/Proxmox_Mail_Gateway_in_VE

Good luck,

Last edited:
help ..

ok i installed mail gw..
but den hw can i hav licens???
i tryd bcoz its open source..
but hw it can b used as open ??
it showa alwys upload licens...
so wot to do??
pls tell

ok i installed mail gw..
but den hw can i hav licens???
i tryd bcoz its open source..
but hw it can b used as open ??
it showa alwys upload licens...
so wot to do??
pls tell

Proxmox Mail Gateway is a commercial product, e.g. you need a license.

We offer a free license and commercial ones, for all details see www.proxmox.com

Last edited:
username/password to access the PMG via web interface

What is the username/password to access the PMG via web interface?

I have tried both linux account and the default account indicated in the doc (MailGatewayAdminGuide-V3.0):
login: root
pass: admin

But they were not working.

Thank you in advance.
Alies

if you installed the appliance in pve.
user is root and password you entered yourself during
creation of the container.

Thank you very much for your reply.
But can not...
I can access via SSH and the console from PVE's web interface but never from the web interface of PMG even I tried on many different PVEs from the appliance 2.2 to 2.3 without success.

Any idea, please?

But can not...
I can access via SSH and the console from PVE's web interface but never from the web interface of PMG even I tried on many different PVEs from the appliance 2.2 to 2.3 without success.

Any idea, please?

So you solved the password problem? I assume yes. as you can access the mail gateway via ssh, the network is working.

do you see the web interface (login page) and it´s just a matter of login or is the webserver down?

I confirm:
- no matter with password
- keyboard layout is ok
- network is ok
- Apache webserver is working fine.
- Yes, I see login page

But I can NOT login even I used a GOOD username/password with account root.

I have checked on the log files... everything seems work well except when I login, the only message appears: "You could not be logged on. Make sure your user name..."

But can not...

Any idea, please?

username for the web interface is 'root'
password is the same as you use for ssh access.

I never seen any problems like you describing so if you do not succeed I can do a remote login via SSH to see whats wrong. can you open ssh for me to the mail gateway? for details, lets move to direct mail contact via support@proxmox.com

syslog

just this:

proxwww[1053]: auth failed: Authentication failure at /usr/share/perl5/Proxmox/Utils.pm line 344, <GEN0> line 71.

thanks....

vzdump installation

I run Proxmox Mail GW as VE on Ubuntu 8.04 host. The host is minimal and doesn't have any MTA installed. I like to use VZDUMP for backuping several VEs. Proxmox Mail GW is one of them.

I downloaded vzdump (http://www.proxmox.com/cms_proxmox/cms/upload/vzdump/vzdump_1.1-1_all.deb). Then run
host# dpkg -i vzdump_1.1-1_all.deb. It said:
vzdump depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
Package exim4 is not installed.
Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.

So, vzdump wants to send mails. OK!

host# apt-get install mail-transport-agent
Package mail-transport-agent is a virtual package provided by:
ssmtp 2.61-13ubuntu1.1
postfix 2.5.1-2ubuntu1.2
xmail 1.22-5
smail 3.2.0.115-7.1
sendmail-bin 8.14.2-2build1
nullmailer 1:1.03-5
nbsmtp 1.00-4
msmtp-mta 1.4.13-1
masqmail 0.2.21-3
esmtp-run 0.6.0-1
courier-mta 0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1
exim4-daemon-light 4.69-2
exim4-daemon-heavy 4.69-2
You should explicitly select one to install.

What is the simplest & minimal MTA in the list above? I only wants to allow vzdump to send their mails, nothing more. Nullmailer, probably?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!