HowTo create virtual machine template for KVM

nicolasdiogo

Mar 16, 2010
Hi,

this is my first post here.

i understand that openVZ only run linux guest (very fast).
but i have a set of windows machine that i need to virtualise.
thus i understand that i would need to run these on KVM.

so i am considering creating a template with all the requirements in common accross these windows system and upload to our proxmox installation.

BUT it seems that the dab tool is only functional for linux systems runniing over openVZ. am i right?

i did a fair amount of searching and throwling the internet for information but nothing turn up. Or at least i could not identify it.

could someone provide me with a link to documentation on how to complete my task?

thanks,

Nicolas

www.brainpowered.net

yes, dab is only for Debian/Ubuntu based OpenVZ templates.

there is no windows (and no KVM) template creator/downloader implemented. I suggest you take a look on the standard windows template tools from the well known vendors.

thanks Tom,

i have always learned a lot from searching and reading material from the internet - but you have to have a starting point.
that is why i posted my question.

i was not getting good result - but now that i understand what your suggestion i am sure i will gain a better understanding.

cheerio

Nicolas

hi,

i sort of worked out how to have KVM templates.
i create a KVM machine, install and do whatever i want to it; then close it down completly; and copy it to another folder using a descriptive name for the file.

when i need to create another VM based on this 'template'; create a new KVM machine as per usual BUT before starting the machine for the first time; overwrite this file with the one that we saved above and it seems to work for me.

Nicolas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!