How to?

elonmussk

Dec 31, 2020
Hey! i am new to proxmox, and i had 2 questions!

How to acces your mobo bios when running promox?

How to run raid in proxmox? (raid1)

thanks!

How to acces your mobo bios when running promox?
Connect a monitor to your server and press the key the manual mentions to boot into bios.
If you dont have physical access there might be an BMC on your server which will allow you to VNC into the bios using a web interface.
How to run raid in proxmox? (raid1)
That depends. Zfs mirror, mdraid raid1, hardware raid and even PCI passthrough a raid controller would be possible.
Whats your hardware and what do you want to achieve?

Last edited:
Connect a monitor to your server and press the key the manual mentions to boot into bios.
If you dont have physical access there might be an BMC on your server which will allow you to VNC into the bios using a web interface.

That depends. Zfs mirror, mdraid raid1, hardware raid and even PCI passthrough a raid controller would be possible.
Whats your hardware and what do you want to achieve?
Hey!

thanks for your reply!

I wanna make a fileserver, and i was thinking about doing a raid trough proxmox or via the bios, what do you reccomend?
I use 2X 500gb
Ill use the raid to run freenas!

Thanks!

Last edited:
FreeNAS needs the drives without any raid and with direct access because it is using ZFS to create a software raid. And you need to install FreeNAS to a VM and a VM has no direct access to drives connected to your host until you pass them through.
If you want less overhead (physical drives accessible by the VM without additional virtualization) you need to buy a PCIe HBA, attach that drives to the HBA and passthrough the HBA to your VM (if your hardware is supporting VT-x and IOMMU).
Slower option would be to just passthrough the drives themself but that way it will be virtualized by KVM so you got the additional virtualization overhead.

Last edited:
FreeNAS needs the drives without any raid and with direct access because it is using ZFS to create a software raid. And you need to install FreeNAS to a VM and a VM has no direct access to drives connected to your host until you pass them through.
If you want less overhead (physical drives accessible by the VM without additional virtualization) you need to buy a PCIe HBA, attach that drives to the HBA and passthrough the HBA to your VM (if your hardware is supporting VT-x and IOMMU).
Slower option would be to just passthrough the drives themself but that way it will be virtualized by KVM so you got the additional virtualization overhead.
Bassicly my goal is to run a cloud (on freenas) but i wanna make sure my files are save when one drive fails!

Oh, so i can't make q raid within proxomox or in the bois? I don't really care about the speeds!

Last edited:
Oh, so i can't make q raid within proxomox or in the bois? I don't really care about the speeds! So a bios raid is ok but slower? I can just put the VM on the raid right. Or is it possible to back up everyday? If that's faster

If FreeNAS is your primary goal, why not just install FreeNAS and then run virtual machines in FreeNAS?

Proxmox can do RAID (zfs or mraid) natively and if you just install Samba you can do fileshares for Windows if that's what you need.

I just don't get running FreeNAS under Proxmox. Yes, you can do it, but it seems such a messy compromise to me.

Running a FreeNAS guest isn't a bad idea, but I think with just 500GB of usable storage space its quite useless. Would be another thing if you want to use 5x 8TB HDDs or something like that.
If you just want raid1 to store some data for a nextcloud VM/LXC I also would to that on the proxmox host itself and then use SMB/NFS inside the VM/LXC to access that mirrored data folder.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!