How to share zfs zpool/datasets from PVE to external standalone 1:1 app servers?

jaysol

Jul 30, 2019
We have a couple of older Windows 7 Pro based application servers that can not be virtualized, but they rely on a considerable amount of storage.

We're started using PVE for a few other things already and haved starting to get used to using ZFS within the PVE environment. In the interest of keeping support processes and GUI's somewhat similar, we would like to share zpools or datasets from a PVE server to other servers outside of the PVE.

Is there a best practice approach for this? sharesmb?

If it matters, in this case the standalone application servers only need a single folder and drive letter to write data to (as a single admin user) on the Windows side.

yes, exporting via NFS/CIFS/.. works fine. I would not recommend the builtin share functionality of ZFS (for NFS it is okay for very simple setups, for Samba it does not work very well), but you can just export the mounted dataset yourself using samba or whatever other fileserver implementation you want.

Reactions: jaysol
Is there a best practice approach for this?

I would recommend to use an LX(C) container (e.g. Debian) as "separation of concerns" and use mount points for your data inside of your container then export them via Samba to the outside world. With this approach you can also have shadow copy support for you windows machines which is very nice. It can map zfs snapshots to "previous version" timestamps for windows.

Reactions: jaysol
I would recommend to use an LX(C) container (e.g. Debian) as "separation of concerns" and use mount points for your data inside of your container then export them via Samba to the outside world. With this approach you can also have shadow copy support for you windows machines which is very nice. It can map zfs snapshots to "previous version" timestamps for windows.

That sounds interesting! Are you aware of any tutorials or articles on this method? I've searched a little but have only found people like you who have suggested they it working. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!