How to restore qcow2 on PVE 4.2?

gkovacs

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I have just installed Proxmox VE 4.2 (on ZFS), and tried to restore a few VMs to it (from NFS). Regardless of the fact that all VMs used qcow2 disk format when they were backed up, Proxmox creates ZFS zvols for them, instead of qcow2 files.

Is there any way to restore VMs directly to qcow2 on Proxmox 4.2 ZFS?

Or do I not need qcow2 at all?

Last edited:
Regardless of the fact that all VMs used qcow2 disk format when they were backed up, Proxmox creates ZFS subvolumes for them, instead of qcow2 files.

When restoring backups you can select the storage to use, and it'll use a format suitable for that storage. For ZFS that's a zvolume.

Is there any way to restore VMs directly to qcow2 on Proxmox 4.2 ZFS?
Either by choosing a directory storage when restoring, or if you already have the VMs restored onto ZFS you can use the GUI's Move Disk button after selecting a disk in the VM's Hardware (or container's Resources) tab.

Or do I not need qcow2 at all?
You don't need it. It's a matter of choice, depending on what kind of features you need.

You don't need it. It's a matter of choice, depending on what kind of features you need.

Are there any features of qcow2 in a directory that are not supported by the zvol based raw virtual disk?

Also, can I create directory type storage on ZFS?

Last edited:
Yes, you cannot have a tree-like structure for snapshots and cannot jump from one to another. There are maybe other drawbacks, but this is the biggest one.

Reactions: gkovacs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!