How to resize /home hdd space?

KingTChoka

Sep 4, 2021
My original VM had 200 Gb of hdd space allocated to it. Then I ran the command `qm resize <vmid> <disk> <size>` to add 200 more Gb.

When I run `lsblk`, we can see the total space is indeed 400 Gb

Code:
NAME              MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                 8:0    0   400G  0 disk
├─sda1              8:1    0     1G  0 part /boot
└─sda2              8:2    0   199G  0 part
  ├─rl_rocky-root 253:0    0    70G  0 lvm  /
  ├─rl_rocky-swap 253:1    0   9.6G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  └─rl_rocky-home 253:2    0 119.4G  0 lvm  /home

but `df -h` still doesn't show an increase in the `/home` directory. It is still stuck at 95% full with 120G size max. How can I add more hdd to the /home directory?

Code:
Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                   9.5G     0  9.5G   0% /dev
tmpfs                      9.5G   84K  9.5G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                      9.5G  8.8M  9.5G   1% /run
tmpfs                      9.5G     0  9.5G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/rl_rocky-root   70G   31G   40G  43% /
/dev/mapper/rl_rocky-home  120G  113G  6.5G  95% /home
/dev/sda1                 1014M  239M  776M  24% /boot
tmpfs                      1.9G  1.2M  1.9G   1% /run/user/42
tmpfs                      1.9G  204K  1.9G   1% /run/user/1000

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, this is not a Proxmox issue and I found this helpful guide. Not sure how to close this issue.

Last edited:
As /home seems to be a logical volume of a LVM in your case, you should be able to use the lvresize command.
See it's man-page (also online available) for some docs, there are also quite some tutorials online.

For resizing a LV, and it's underlying FS such that the total FS size is increased by 10 GiB you'd do:

Code:
lvresize --size +10G --resizefs rl_rocky/home
# or using the mapped LV path directly

lvresize --size +10G --resizefs /dev/mapper/rl_rocky-home

A few notes to above:
  • note that the size param supports additive (+ prefix) subtractive (- prefix) and absolute size (no prefix) values
  • increasing is most often easy to do, but decreasing is often not supported by the filesystem on the LV, so only increase as much as you actually want
  • As you can see from the manpage, -L and --size are the same thing, as is -r and --resizefs (short vs. long options). Just noting in case you read a how-to with the shorter, but less expressive notation.
  • triple check the command and its parameters before you execute it, having tested backups is always a good idea.

As /home seems to be a logical volume of a LVM in your case, you should be able to use the lvresize command.
See it's man-page (also online available) for some docs, there are also quite some tutorials online.

For resizing a LV, and it's underlying FS such that the total FS size is increased by 10 GiB you'd do:

Code:
lvresize --size +10G --resizefs rl_rocky/home
# or using the mapped LV path directly

lvresize --size +10G --resizefs /dev/mapper/rl_rocky-home

A few notes to above:
  • note that the size param supports additive (+ prefix) subtractive (- prefix) and absolute size (no prefix) values
  • increasing is most often easy to do, but decreasing is often not supported by the filesystem on the LV, so only increase as much as you actually want
  • As you can see from the manpage, -L and --size are the same thing, as is -r and --resizefs (short vs. long options). Just noting in case you read a how-to with the shorter, but less expressive notation.
  • triple check the command and its parameters before you execute it, having tested backups is always a good idea.
Got the following error when trying;
Code:
$ sudo lvresize --size +200G --resizefs /dev/mapper/rl_rocky-home
  Insufficient free space: 51200 extents needed, but only 0 available

I also tried the tutorial I posted but still no luck :/

Welp, I re-followed the blog instructions I posted, and after re-partitioning (using `fstab`) I can't boot anymore probably because the UUID of the partitions have changed... 1631604311684.pngGuess I'll just re-create the vm from scratch... fml

EDIT: I just tried removing the VM from the console and nothing is happening.... how to forcefully remove a VM???

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!