How to properly tune 10Gbe card for best rates to iscsi SAN

OldSunGuy

Mar 23, 2012
Hi All,
Sorry if this is more of a straight Linux networking issue, but I am hoping to resolve this under Proxmox 2 so we can use it as our VM server.
The setup is Proxmox 2 server whose storage will be iscsi SAN based (Enhance 3160TG - using 10gbe fiber) . We have been testing and coming to the conclusion that there is asymmetric speed performance between Proxmox and SAN based on feedback from dd write/read tests and iperf and iozone utilities. (Unfortunately, Enhance SAN provides only a closed shell access, so no tuning is possible. Even MTU is limited to a maximum of 3500, so we turn it off.) All wired ethernet connections are on private networks, with direct fiber connections - no switches used. )

So in order to understand what is happening better, we setup a second 10 gbe system (using copper instead of fiber - Intel x520-t2 dual port cards. Cards support auto crossover so we use standard Cat 6 cables purchased from a vendor.) Here we run Proxmox to a Windows 2008 server ( because Enhance publishes numbers for 10 gbe benchmarks - iscsi to Windows numbers only.)

When we run iperf, we get asymmetric results, as follows:
Run# Server Client Rate Window Size Write Length
1 Linux Windows 1Gb/s not set - use defaults not set - use defaults
2 Windows Linux 4Gb/s not set - use defaults not set - use defaults
3 Linux Windows 4Gb/s 256K 256K
4 Windows Linux 7Gb/s 256K 256K

My questions are as follows:
What is (TCP) window size doing here in iperf to improve performance?
Is this behavior related to what I might be seeing when I am doing the Proxmox to SAN testing?
Is there a way to compensate via Proxmox/Linux NIC tuning to maximize my throughput to the SAN over iscsi disk for my Proxmox VM's?

Thanks for any insight to help me understand this performance asymmetry.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!