How to move VMs from one NAS to another without complete restore?

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Hello all,
I currently have 3 Proxmox Nodes and 1 FreeNAS box with iscsi target and nfs share. All 3 proxmox nodes are hard drive less and shares iscsi target for VMs located in FreeNAS. I have added another nas box in the network and want to move all the vms to that machine. In the past i backed up all VMs using nfs share, then delete all the VMs, move backed up vms to new nas box, then restore all vms one at a time into iscsi target. Is there a way to not go through this lengthy process? Both NAS will remain online. Seems like i can copy files from one nfs share into another, but cannot copy one iscsi to another box. My knowledge about iscsi is very limited.
Thanks for any help!

Hello all,
I currently have 3 Proxmox Nodes and 1 FreeNAS box with iscsi target and nfs share. All 3 proxmox nodes are hard drive less and shares iscsi target for VMs located in FreeNAS. I have added another nas box in the network and want to move all the vms to that machine. In the past i backed up all VMs using nfs share, then delete all the VMs, move backed up vms to new nas box, then restore all vms one at a time into iscsi target. Is there a way to not go through this lengthy process? Both NAS will remain online. Seems like i can copy files from one nfs share into another, but cannot copy one iscsi to another box. My knowledge about iscsi is very limited.
Thanks for any help!

I haven't done this but looking at it, doesn't your iscsi targets reside on a zfs volume? If it does, couldn't you just create a snapshot routine and then replicate from one freenas to the other (I assume you are using the same nas type)?

My iscsi target does reside in ZFS volume, /mnt/nas01. The new nas box has ZFS volume /mnt/nas02. I did use FreeNAS replication to replicate /mnt/nas01->/mnt/nas02. Replication is successful, but just dont know how do i tell Proxmox that the new target is in nas02. Hope this gives little bit more information.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!