how to make "pipe" sign: | work in VNC console? (or, other keys with right-alt)

mangoo

Feb 4, 2009
wpkg.org
Is there a way to make "pipe" (|) sign work in the VNC console?

I have a German keyboard; pipe (|) sign shows up in all programs when I press "right alt + <". Unfortunately, only "<" shows up in the VNC console.

Similarly, "@" sign. It shows up when I press "right alt+q"; on VNC console though, only "q" shows up.

Is there a workaround for that?

I use Firefox and Sun Java under Linux.

Is there a way to make "pipe" (|) sign work in the VNC console?

I have a German keyboard; pipe (|) sign shows up in all programs when I press "right alt + <". Unfortunately, only "<" shows up in the VNC console.

Similarly, "@" sign. It shows up when I press "right alt+q"; on VNC console though, only "q" shows up.

Is there a workaround for that?

I use Firefox and Sun Java under Linux.

should work.

• did you configure "German" under "Configuration/System/Options: Keyboard layout"?
  • what guest OS?
  • keyboard is german in guest OS?

should work.

• did you configure "German" under "Configuration/System/Options: Keyboard layout"?
  • what guest OS?
  • keyboard is german in guest OS?

- I have German keyboard layout in options on host
- guest OSes - different Linux (i.e. Debian Lenny)
- guest OSes have German keyboard

I tried loading different German keymaps on guests, but it didn't help - right alt (AltGr) is not passed to the guest via VNC console:

# loadkeys de
# loadkeys de-latin1
# loadkeys de-latin1-nodeadkeys

If I open VNC's Clipboard, I can write signs like @ or |.

So it is passed to the Java viewer correctly, but somehow doesn't get through to the guest.
Hmm.

Do you talk about a KVM or OpenVZ guest console?

Do you talk about a KVM or OpenVZ guest console?

both should work.

I have two desktop machines here (vista 32 and debian lenny 64), both with java 6 12 and latest firefox (3.0.7 on vista, 3.0.6 on lenny.)

tested on KVM: Ubuntu 8.10
tested on OpenVZ: Debian Lenny template

both should work.

I have two desktop machines here (vista 32 and debian lenny 64), both with java 6 12 and latest firefox (3.0.7 on vista, 3.0.6 on lenny.)

tested on KVM: Ubuntu 8.10
tested on OpenVZ: Debian Lenny template

I wonder why it doesn't work for me.

I see some "AltGr VNC" hits in google, but I found no definite solution which could be applied here.

I see some "AltGr VNC" hits in google, but I found no definite solution which could be applied here.

Again, it works here (we use a patched version of KVM which includes a fix for that). I do not understand why it does not work for you.

I wonder why it doesn't work for me.

as it works on our standard installations - looks like you "adapted" something?

Again, it works here (we use a patched version of KVM which includes a fix for that). I do not understand why it does not work for you.

as it works on our standard installations - looks like you "adapted" something?

Ugh, I'm stupid.
I compiled kvm-84 but some VNC patches from Proxmox VE didn't apply cleanly. And even when applied manually, the thing didn't compile.
As I though "VNC patches - why bother?" - I compiled kvm-84 without your VNC patches.

Sorry for wasting your time.

So, it's the 4th day I have kvm-84 running. I'll wait a couple of days and write a short info on how it works (with pointers to kvm-devel list - there are some issues it fixes for me, there are some it didn't, when compared to kvm-83).

I have a similar issue trying to send "ESC" via the KVM console.

While booting my KVM system I need to press "ESC" a a boot prompt.. but it would seem that I can't :(

any ideas?

Cheers,
--Guy

I have a similar issue trying to send "ESC" via the KVM console.

While booting my KVM system I need to press "ESC" a a boot prompt.. but it would seem that I can't :(

any ideas?

Cheers,
--Guy

ESC should also work, can you describe a bit more detailed what you wanna do, how can I reproduce it here?

This issue is already solved, 'mangoo' used a custom compiled version where he just forget some parts.

ESC should also work, can you describe a bit more detailed what you wanna do, how can I reproduce it here?

This issue is already solved, 'mangoo' used a custom compiled version where he just forget some parts.

interesting... ok well I'm using proxmox 1.1 and trying to press ESC at a grub boot loader prompt.

interesting... ok well I'm using proxmox 1.1 and trying to press ESC at a grub boot loader prompt.

more details please:

what guest OS?
guest OS settings?
what desktop OS, Browser, Java plugin?

and why do you need to press ESC and what is the expected result?

more details please:

what guest OS?
guest OS settings?
what desktop OS, Browser, Java plugin?

and why do you need to press ESC and what is the expected result?

ok well I can't tell you about the guest OS as it's currently under NDA.

Desktop: MacOS-X Leopard (10.5.6) using Safari 3.

The CD ISO image brings a prompt up, which waits for user to press ESC to continue the install sequence. Without pressing the ESC it would try to boot from Hard disk which of course it can't until I install it.

This works just fine on a Full metal system install.

--Guy

ok well I can't tell you about the guest OS as it's currently under NDA.

Desktop: MacOS-X Leopard (10.5.6) using Safari 3.

The CD ISO image brings a prompt up, which waits for user to press ESC to continue the install sequence. Without pressing the ESC it would try to boot from Hard disk which of course it can't until I install it.

This works just fine on a Full metal system install.

--Guy

I have no mac and no system like you so I cannot test.
Pls try from another desktop OS (Ubuntu, Windows).

To test ESC, just boot up a Ubuntu live cd (e.g. Ubuntu 8.10 desktop) and press ESC on the very first stage - work without problems here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!