How to increase memory in VE machine ?

arlagoso

Dec 22, 2010
if you change the RAM via Proxmox VE gui, you need to power off your VM - a reboot of the windows guest is not enough.

Reactions: babalucha
Actually, I am trying to do just this but I don't see how in the Web gui. I'm using version 2 and all I see in the web gui is information about the different machines and containers but no way to configure them. The only things that I can do are: start, shutdown, remove or migrate but I cannot see how to increase memory or disc allocation. I miscalculated and I created a container that is too small for my needs. I've invested a lot of time configuring the appliance but now I realize I need more disk space. How can I do that? Thanks.

JM

Actually, I am trying to do just this but I don't see how in the Web gui. I'm using version 2 and all I see in the web gui is information about the different machines and containers but no way to configure them. The only things that I can do are: start, shutdown, remove or migrate but I cannot see how to increase memory or disc allocation. I miscalculated and I created a container that is too small for my needs. I've invested a lot of time configuring the appliance but now I realize I need more disk space. How can I do that? Thanks.

JM
Hi,
double-click the container -> Ressources -> select "Disk size" (or anything else) -> click on Edit

Udo

Thanks Udo! I had actually done that (double click on the container) but then when I saw all the tabs and I went to the resources tab I didn't see any way to modify this. I thought it was just information about the current resources. Today, after reading your message I decided to double-click on the 'Disk size' item and, yes, I saw that I was able to modify these parameters. Perhaps a little note saying 'double-click to modify' or something like that would be useful. I searched through the wiki but I wasn't able to find any section addressing this.

Actually, while we are on this topic, can one do the same with a KVM? Since I don't see a 'resources' tab for the VMs, I go to the 'hardware' tab but once there I cannot seem to change the size of the hard disk allocated to the VM. I click on the item 'Hard disk (ide 0) local:102/vm102-disk-1.raw' but all the options I see there (see the attached image) are: Default (no cache), Write through, Write back, Write back (unsafe) and No cache. So, no option to change the size of the VM.

Screen shot 2012-03-26 at 10.24.55 AM.png

I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I installed this VM because I'm having some problems with it. This VM is an instance of FreeNas (http://wiki.freenas.org/FreeNAS) based on FreeBSD. The problem I'm having is that when I exit the VM none of the settings I have changed is preserved. Every time I reboot I have to change the settings again, which is a real pain. It is as if nothing is being written to disk. I cannot really interpret what 'Hard disk (ide 0) local:102/vm102-disk-1.raw' means but does it reveal a problem with my installation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josep M

JM

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!