[SOLVED] How to identify disks during Proxmox installation

Zx4ACQQ7

Feb 14, 2021
Hello,

I want to install Proxmox to serve as a bare metal hypervisor to amongst other things my already installed TrueNAS.
I have created a pool for my datadisks and I have an SSD which is the boot pool for it.
Now I have another couple of SSD's that I would like to install Proxmox on as a RAID-1 (in zfs I think).

The problem is that when I am in the installation page of Proxmox there is nothing distinguishing between the SSD's when you try to select the disks. (They are all the same model)
I have logged the serials but I don't know how to view them. Is it possible to somehow drop down to a shell to check the serial and map it to /dev/sdX?

Basically how do I not pick the TrueNAS boot drive?

Thanks.

Last edited:
ctrl-alt-f1/f2 does not help?
I will try it, good idea.

I did find a possible solution. I booted into TrueNAS and run I think glabel status (or one of camcontrol devlist, glabel list not sure right now).

The output was something like:
"Found GPUID in the MBR section" followed by more detailed data. However this output exists for one of the SSD's (which I assumed was the boot drive) along with the /dev/sdX identifier.
The other 3 SSD's had an output of "No MBR found" (again I don't remember the exact phrasing but you will notice that there is just a handful of lines ~5). So I knew that /dev/sdh for example was special

The other piece of the puzzle is to make sure that the enumeration persists across reboots. So I rebooted TrueNAS and run again the same command and I saw the same results.

I agree @bbgeek17 and thanks for(both) the suggestion(s). The truth of the matter is that since I did not have any significant work done on the TrueNAS only just recently installed it and no data on the HDD's it was low risk for me to go down that route.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!