How to export EML to MBOX?

vanessaroy

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I want to convert my EML files into MBOX format and having too much data their. So, if anyone has any easy method for migrating all the data without any missing please share.

Hi, could it be that this thread was meant to be posted in the Proxmox Mailgateway (sub)forum?

Anyway, there are many tools out there if one searches, a lot of it shareware and maybe not to trustworthy.

A simple/stupid way to do it could be just using Thunderbird. There's a "import export tool" addon which is a UI for Thunderbirds build in capabillities to work with both formats. You can add it, and use it to import all your EML and export it as mbox.

I mean "mbox" is more or less just the EML files all inline, separated with an empty line and some escaping.
Python has a Mailbox module in the standard library, the following gist shows a pretty much complete example for your request:
https://gist.github.com/kadin2048/c332a572a388acc22d56#file-emltombox-py

If you do not want to got the "Thunderbird" way and have a bit more flexible and lean solution. Both are OK, especially if it's only required to be done once, not often.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!