[SOLVED] How to enable host traffic through VM router?

jukkasi

Mar 26, 2020
Hello,

I have setup with
- two VMs (OpenWRT router and Windows10)
- two physical NICs (LAN and WAN for OpenWRT, this LAN port also used to add more devices to LAN)

What I would like to achive is that my Proxmox host traffic is routed through OpenWRT LAN, so I can manage host from LAN.

I have tried following setup which works fine for LAN and WAN: OpenWRT is connected to Internet, Win10 VM can access LAN & Internet through OpenWRT.
Also laptop connected to LAN NIC is able to access OpenWRT and Internet. Great!

But I can't access host from OpenWRT or OpenWRT from host, so the question is: how to make host part of the LAN? What I have tried is bridging vmbr0 and vmbr1 but it always breaks LAN somehow.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp9s0 inet manual
#I211LAN

iface eno1 inet manual
#I219 WAN

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.1.9
        netmask  24
        gateway  192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
# HOW TO MAKE THIS PART OF LAN? STATIC OR DHCP

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp9s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#LAN for OpenWRT & Win10

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#WAN for OpenWRT

Why not remove the vmbr1 and use the enp9s0 as bridge-port on vmbr0 and use vmbr0 for the OpenWRT Lan interface?

Why not remove the vmbr1 and use the enp9s0 as bridge-port on vmbr0 and use vmbr0 for the OpenWRT Lan interface?

Aaron, thanks for your suggestion, it works perfectly.

Only problem now is that in LAN I cannot access Proxmox Host WebGUI for some reason (OpenWRT should not be blocking that) but SSH works fine.

You still have the IP address configured on vmbr0?

We are talking about accessing the GUI through the IP configured for vmbr0 over the ethernet cable right?

My mistake, I was not accessing HTTPS but HTTP instead. Works perfectly, many thanks!

Great :) Can you please mark the thread as solved? Edit the first post and select the according title prefix. Thx!

My mistake, I was not accessing HTTPS but HTTP instead. Works perfectly, many thanks!
Hi Jukkasi, an the the result was you LAN interface on OpenWRT can acces Proxmox webgui managament?

If yes can you share your network interface file to see your configuration...

I want that scenario but im a little confuse in that part..

Thanks

Hi Jukkasi, an the the result was you LAN interface on OpenWRT can acces Proxmox webgui managament?

If yes can you share your network interface file to see your configuration...

I want that scenario but im a little confuse in that part..

Thanks

Hi, my Proxmox /etc/network/interfaces is

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp9s0 inet manual
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.30.30.5/24
        gateway 10.30.30.1
        bridge-ports enp9s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

vmbr0 = OpenWRT "LAN" interface
vmbr1 = OpenWRT "WAN" interface

You need to setup both interfaces for OpenWRT VM as bridge and make sure LAN interface in OpenWRT uses correct host interface. With this setup Proxmox host is part of OpenWRT VM LAN

Last edited:
Reactions: resol341
Hi, my Proxmox /etc/network/interfaces is

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp9s0 inet manual
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.30.30.5/24
        gateway 10.30.30.1
        bridge-ports enp9s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

vmbr0 = OpenWRT "LAN" interface
vmbr1 = OpenWRT "WAN" interface

You need to setup both interfaces for OpenWRT VM as bridge and make sure LAN interface in OpenWRT uses correct host interface. With this setup Proxmox host is part of OpenWRT VM LAN
Thank you so much for your quick reply my friend...

Just to clarify on this scenario you are using just one box for proxmox (modem->proxmox), you don't are using any physical switch/router on your setup?

All the router stuff are inside the proxmox computer right?

Thanks

Thank you so much for your quick reply my friend...

Just to clarify on this scenario you are using just one box for proxmox (modem->proxmox), you don't are using any physical switch/router on your setup?

All the router stuff are inside the proxmox computer right?

Thanks
Correct, everything in one computer which has two ethernet ports motherboard.

One port as WAN (vmbr1) with direct connection to Internet and other port as LAN (vmbr0) for connecting LAN clients (direct connection for one client or switch for multiple clients)

I also have WLAN card installed on this computer, which is passed through to OpenWRT VM and configured there to provide wireless access to LAN

Currently all my clients use WLAN and the one physical LAN port I have is not used.

Last edited:
Correct, everything in one computer which has two ethernet ports motherboard.

One port as WAN (vmbr1) with direct connection to Internet and other port as LAN (vmbr0) for connecting LAN clients (direct connection for one client or switch for multiple clients)

I also have WLAN card installed on this computer, which is passed through to OpenWRT VM and configured there to provide wireless access to LAN
thank u sooo much thats the probe i need to built my box...

Again jukkasi, thank u my friend.

Best regards

Thank you for this thread. I have a very similar setup as yours. Just a quick question, does 10.30.30.5 (PVE admin GUI address of your setup I assume) show up in the list of client of OpenWrt? Is it expected to? Does OpenWrt DHCP assign IP for the Win10 VM?

Thank you!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!