How to duplicate an LXC container ?

Etienne BOUCHE

May 20, 2016
Hello,

I'm using ProxMox to make LXC containers with debian-jessie templates.
I would like to know something very simple. How can I duplicate an existing container to create a new one on the same template ?
For instance I have a container with a discourse Forum for an association, and I would like duplicate it for create a very similar forum for another association. What's my possibilities ?

Sincerely,
Etienne

Reactions: bizzarrone
we use backup and restore of a lxc named 'jessie-template' made for that purpose.

from memory, and there may be another step:
restore the backup.
on the restored lxc settings
- delete and add the nic [ or change the mac address ]
- change network settings.

do you have storage set up for lxc?

t looks like you just have 'local' storage,

check at pve > storage that 'local' is set for lxc.

we use backup and restore of a lxc named 'jessie-template' made for that purpose.

from memory, and there may be another step:
restore the backup.
on the restored lxc settings
- delete and add the nic [ or change the mac address ]
- change network settings.

Rob, this sounds easy, except that when one tries to restore, it will simply restore to the same container. How does on edit the config of the backup before restoring so it restores to a new container?

Rob, this sounds easy, except that when one tries to restore, it will simply restore to the same container. How does on edit the config of the backup before restoring so it restores to a new container?
go to the storage where the backup is
click on the backup
click on restore
enter the new vmid
backup restores to new vmid, not overwriting anything

Reactions: BruceX and lifeboy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!