[SOLVED] How to determine ARCsize?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

i have here an server with ZFS an low memory (unfortunately not expandable). Memorysize is 32GB, Arcsize is 8GB. Can use even less here? For example 6GB, or less?

Code:
time  read  miss  miss%  dmis  dm%  pmis  pm%  mmis  mm%  arcsz     c 
19:47:14   329   104     31     0    0   104  100     0    0   8.0G  8.0G

That depends on your application and use case. One of my machines I have ARC size is set to 2GB max because most of the my drive activity are writes. Any reads I have are pretty static and my miss% is only 10. It may not be a clear advice but you can definitely try reducing it and see if you notice any performance hit. Worst case scenario, you will be reading from your drive instead of ram thus the performance hit depending on your drive type.

Hi,

You can also increase the RAM allocated for your VM and setup for them using:

primarycache=metadata

In a such case, you will not double cache the same data(at arc level and at vm cache level). Guest know better than zfs what data to cache or not.

Good luck / Bafta.

Last edited:
Good thing you mentioned that, I've already set that for backups. I am now also trying in the pool. Since data are only in VM's, and not in separate datasets.

Looks good. With 5GB and on some Volumes and Datasets ein set primarycache=metadata. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!