How To Connect To KVMs With Just 1 Public IP Address (Kimsufi VPS)

JustaGuy

Renowned Member
Jan 1, 2010
Hi,

I have PVE4 installed on a Kimsufi VPS, & I have just the one IP address on vmbr0 with which to access the host. As such, I have my KVM set with NAT selected in the network interface, since there aren't any more addresses that can be assigned to it if I were to use a bridge.

How do I need to set up networking so that I can ssh, etc. to (& otherwise reach) the KVM?

I had the idea that I could use the PVE firewall to port forward to the guest, but it's disabled (greyed out) when the network device is set to NAT mode.

Then I thought I could set vmbr0 to 0.0.0.0 & give pfSense the public IP address, then distribute traffic through the firewall, but then I'd lose access to PVE if it were ever to go down, as port 8006 would have to be routed through it. I don't think I could configure it all the way it would need to be in one shot prior to rebooting to activate all that anyway- seems risky, & I'd probably end up having to reinstall PVE through the Kimsufi Control Panel to regain access.

Please advise.

Thanks,

-J

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!