How to configure VM as web server?

eonila

Oct 30, 2013
Hi...

I'm trying to set OpenSUSE as VM web server (some virtual hosts for joomla).
While my attempts to install its latest version from uploaded ISO, I'm facing a problem with its IP settings.
So I stucked there.

The idea is as following:
- make a cluster of 4 phisical machines,
- if possible set them all as one public IP (how?)
- install OpenSUSE as web server VM

The question is, when configuring VM - which IP, mask, gate to type? The same as proxmox? Different public IP? Or somehow set VM as private IPs?

I haven't found this info anywhere yet...
HELP! :)

Sorry, haven't found any answer there.

1. If I set a public IP on my proxmox I can connect to that from Internet.
2. There is no hardware firewall between my proxmox node, and internet.
3. When I'm installing VM it asks for IP settings - what to put there? The same public IP as I gave to the proxmox node? Different public IP? Or private one?

Or maybe it was a huge mistake to let the proxmox have public IP?

How to allow per example VM OpenSuse to get its repos while installation process?

Last edited:
When I'm installing VM it asks for IP settings - what to put there? The same public IP as I gave to the proxmox node? Different public IP? Or private one?

do you expect two machines (real/virtual) in the same network to have the same IP (public/private) and work well?

Or maybe it was a huge mistake to let the proxmox have public IP?

try reading also through
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address (look for "unique" keyword)
and then also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Hi...
I'm a perfect new to proxmox (3.1)... I've seen some clips about it... got 4 old rack servers, and I'm ready to have some fun...
No commercial things involved - just learning, so if I mess something up - no harm... downtime - who cares? :)

sorry, but, imho it is a huge mistake to "play" with a system like proxmox ve before learning basic networking concepts. You are not learning anything this way.

Marco

...sorry, but, imho it is a huge mistake to "play" with a system like proxmox ve before learning basic networking concepts. You are not learning anything this way...

...do you expect two machines (real/virtual) in the same network to have the same IP (public/private) and work well?

1. I know the basics of netwotking.
2. I don't know the basics of Proxmox and virtalization.

As you can see 1 and 2 is something different.

As you can see in that post and in previous one I have put some alternatives in hope that someone will tell me where I do somethong wrong.
Sending me to Wikipedia, to read about NAT and IP is pointless. You're not answering MY question, but your own assumption.

So let me refraze it:
What is the general rule to set IP settings in virtualization by proxmox?
- Does the VM has to have the same IP as proxmox or different? (redirecion to some port or how does it work?)
- If different, does proxmox act as router and all the VM has to have private IP, or proxmox is transparent, and I have to set another public IP for each VM? (in this case i think using private class of IP might be a better choice)

Where can I find the answer?

What is the general rule to set IP settings in virtualization by proxmox?
- Does the VM has to have the same IP as proxmox or different? (redirecion to some port or how does it work?)
- If different, does proxmox act as router and all the VM has to have private IP, or proxmox is transparent, and I have to set another public IP for each VM? (in this case i think using private class of IP might be a better choice)
Where can I find the answer?
There is no difference to networking whether you are playing with virtual servers or not. Networking is a specific problem domain which actually has nothing to do with virtualization - the network does not distinguish between a virtual server or a physical server.

There is no difference to networking whether you are playing with virtual servers or not. Networking is a specific problem domain which actually has nothing to do with virtualization - the network does not distinguish between a virtual server or a physical server.

There is a significant difference.
Per example router uses public IP on WAN, but under the same opublic IP you can reach a virtual server or servers (different phisical devices), or DMZ machine, which uses private IP.
Therefore if one phisical machine contains 10 VM apache servers - how does the net knows which one to point to? Using port forwarding, using different IP or what?

So the question if Poxmox acts as router is still open, and your answer is still not an aswer to MY question about proper way to set IP for proxmox and its VM.

Therefore if one phisical machine contains 10 VM apache servers - how does the net knows which one to point to? Using port forwarding, using different IP or what?
So the question if Poxmox acts as router is still open, and your answer is still not an aswer to MY question about proper way to set IP for proxmox and its VM.

I'try to answer shortly to <<how does the net knows which one to point to? Using port forwarding, using different IP or what?>>
whatever you want, but each machine (virtual or not) needs its own unique IP address

<<So the question if Poxmox acts as router is still open,>>
proxmox ve is not a router and has no features to "activate" such behaviour (the same goes for firewall, nat, etc). But every node is a debian based (with redhat derived kernels) linux system, so you can do whatever you need, and make it act as a router, if you need. just remember that not everything will work, and not everything is supported. You need to know very well what you are doing. If you want to be sure if a setup is supported, read the docs (wiki) before, if still need to be sure, then just ask in this forum about you particular situation.

Marco

There is a significant difference.
Per example router uses public IP on WAN, but under the same opublic IP you can reach a virtual server or servers (different phisical devices), or DMZ machine, which uses private IP.

The answer to that is no. Proxmox is not a router. It provides a management interface on a ip you set up during installation, and its up to you to take it from there. If you install suse on a vm, then you configure the ip on that vm just like it was a physical machine.

Google "load balancing" to answer the question about 10 apache servers.

The thread I linked to earlier had at least two methods on how to connect proxmox to the internet. Be sure you know what the risks are of your approach before you put anything on the publicly accessible internet, because it will be scanned almost immediately for weaknesses/mistakes.

sorry, but, imho it is a huge mistake to "play" with a system like proxmox ve before learning basic networking concepts. You are not learning anything this way.
Marco

I agree with this comment. Although you might have Network concepts, this sort of setup is beyond just basic.

Not quite sure why you want 4 "physical Proxmox machine" to have one single Public IP. Is it because you want to remote access any one of them for management purpose?

You said there are no hardware firewall between Proxmox and Internet. Are you using any sort of firewall? Indeed it is big mistake to have Proxmox public IP address, in my opinion. Firewall should have Public IP and you should just use port forwarding.

If you are going to use VM as webserver, then logical thing to do would be isolate that network with a separate bridge, install a Virtualized Firewall then install your web servers. In this setup you will have 2 firewalls in your network. One physical one between Proxmox cluster and internet, the other one Virtualized between physical firewall and newly created bridge network. Take a look at this diagram. As far my understanding, you are trying something like in Subnet #2. If you can fully understand how this diagram is setup, i have crossed over beyond Basic Networking.
proxmox-net1.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!