[SOLVED] How to change PVE Repository to the community edition

Raymond Burns

Apr 2, 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
I have updates populating my GUI, but I recall that the repositories must be adjusted after initial installation. How do I adjust the repositories properly, to match my subscription or non subscription? How do I purge the existing updates available, such as bing9-host, dnsutils, gnupg, gpgv, krb5-local, libbind9-80, etc...?

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Just a thought. Would it not be a good idea if the default installation where automatically configured to use pve-no-subscription and then part of the task of registering a valid subscription key also change sources.list to use the enterprise repository in stead of the no-subscription repository?

Until a valid subscription is obtained or the user has disabled enterprise and enabled no-subscript repository the host will run with an outdated pve version.

That is the basic idea. For convenient and stable updates for production servers, users should buy the subscription. if a user ignores the clear notification on each login, its an outdated system.

A user has to take action against the "Status" of their subscription. Meaning, whether you purchase or not, you have to make a choice. Versus, installing and never thinking about a subscription.
It's just another way to remind people that a subscription is a good idea. But you have to make a choice and take action on the idea of a subscription.

As an alternative to defaulting to Subscriber or Non-Subscriber, Why not ask during installation if the operator wishes to enter a license and upon successful entry of the license key, switch on the subscriber Repository (or switch off if one is not entered depending on initial state).

It would also be useful if there were a non-technical way to do this post install such as a simple single command or application

I have viewed video's on comparing platforms like ESXi and ProxMox and one of the main criticisms is that ProxMox can be a lot less user friendly especially to less technically minded people.

It doesn't matter how technically minded people are, the majority when faced with a choice between two products, a strong factor in their decision tends to include "How easy is this Product to use".

It would also be useful if there were a non-technical way to do this post install such as a simple single command or application

You can change the update repos via GUI since quite some releases, so just a few clicks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!