how to change ceph sources

zkzk

Nov 19, 2018
I installed proxmox according to the instructions.
But because of my network, the download speed is very slow.(china about 50kb)
How to modify the default download source of pveceph
or just modify the apt sources and install by hand ??

if i install on my own does pveceph work as usual??

if i install on my own does pveceph work as usual??

While you can install ceph from another source it's really not supported and others in the past often ran into issues.
Not really because of incompatibilities between our pveceph management stack and ceph itself, but rather as there were some really problematic updates of Debian ceph packages released to the public which we caught also in our testing and slightly delayed release policy and did not release. If you pin the version to use the same as the latest stable from our ceph repository you should be mostly good. But also there you probably will lack the one or other (bug) fix we already ported back.

While you can install ceph from another source it's really not supported and others in the past often ran into issues.
Not really because of incompatibilities between our pveceph management stack and ceph itself, but rather as there were some really problematic updates of Debian ceph packages released to the public which we caught also in our testing and slightly delayed release policy and did not release. If you pin the version to use the same as the latest stable from our ceph repository you should be mostly good. But also there you probably will lack the one or other (bug) fix we already ported back.

thanks does it mean if i install ceph on my own , pveceph work as well (version to use the same as the latest stable from ceph repository)

As I wrote:
If you pin the version to use the same as the latest stable from our ceph repository you should be mostly good

I just cannot guarantee that everything works, and stays working, if you use own packages you will always be a bit on your own. But _normally_ you should not run into many issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!