How to achieve ~10Gbps network speed with CT?

olpve

Mar 14, 2014
I am running PVE version 3.1-21.

When I run VMs with VirtIO, I can achieve (within same host) VM to VM iperf performance ~10Gbps
But when I use CTs (within same host), the iperf network performance is at highest about 1.5Gbps. There seems to be not much configuration to change (resources in vzctl seems resources are not saturated, buffers, mem etc.) Does anyone know any way to improve the network performance?

The host is dual amd Opteron 6128.

Thanks.

I am running PVE version 3.1-21.

When I run VMs with VirtIO, I can achieve (within same host) VM to VM iperf performance ~10Gbps
But when I use CTs (within same host), the iperf network performance is at highest about 1.5Gbps. There seems to be not much configuration to change (resources in vzctl seems resources are not saturated, buffers, mem etc.) Does anyone know any way to improve the network performance?

The host is dual amd Opteron 6128.

Thanks.

Upon additional testing, if iperf is run with 10 threads, it can get up to about 6Gbps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!