How is Proxmox and Security?

5mart3ch

Feb 22, 2018
Would you use Proxmox in a production environment?
Would you switch from VMware esxi or Hyper-V to Proxmox?
How is security on Proxmox? Are there any security hardening guide for Proxmox/Debian?

Yes I use it in production

I switched a ESXi Cluster over to proxmox, and are on the way to switch my other CentOS pacemaker based cluster's to proxmox
(the centos based cluster mainly because of the nice Proxmox GUI)

There are many guides out there for hardening linux based systems. Especially Debian always had a good security reputation.

Sorry to say, but that's kind of stupid question. As one can fuck up security of each product on it's own, it's hard to say. PVE comes secure ootb and you can increase security by adding more layers like specific firewall rules, fail2ban.

If you refer to the hypervisor itself, you should search the web for KVM and security. Also hardening Debian should reveal some information.

Hi,

Your question is wrong, because security is a process and not a product /software/hardware. Who think security=product is fooling himself. By default pmx have some decent settings regarding security, but this is only one piece from the security puzzle.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteStarEOF
The questions are stupid or stupid answers? These are just questions. I, myself, are switching over from Microsoft. Having tried vmware is great except the high cost and no LXC. It has only been recently I have heard of Proxmox, a much smaller company with even smaller resources, and like to see what the community experiences has been.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!