[SOLVED] How full a zpool can be in % ?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello,

how full a zpool can be, before you get performance problems? Is right to say 80% or is this depending on the storagedevice, like HDD or SSD. My SSD pool have 89% this time.

Thanks a lot

in past I had big degradation at 70%. (big fragmentation and new write take a lot of time to find free blocks)
Maybe the limit can be pushed by using log and cache. Of course hardware for log and cache should be of the right sort and quality.

Maybe the limit can be pushed by using log and cache. Of course hardware for log and cache should be of the right sort and quality.

Well , this was a nexenta san, with stec zeus ram as log device, and intel s3500 for l2arc.
24 15k drives.
I was around the limit of iops, but when reaching 70%, the perf degrage x5. (simply remove 1 or 2%,and performance was good again).

This was 4years ago, so maybe zfs has improve since.

These new feature flags could have improved your situation:
1) async_destroy, especially with clones
2) hole_birth, especially for zvol
3) empty_bpobj, optimize snapshot handling
4) embedded_data, greatly improves performance for highly compress data

If I remember correct Nexanta 4 years ago did not use lz4 compression algorithm which typically increases compressed pools performance by 50 - 150%.

Thank you for the answers. I was able to delete some file to CAP 69% :) The ZFS version is in no subscriptionrepo 0.6.5.8. Maybe there is something better for CAP.

All my pools are lz4 compressed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!