How forceful is shutdown -h ?

gregorypeck

Nov 30, 2019
Just wondering:
If we run (as root) shutdown -h in the Proxmox shell and we have a couple of backups/snapshots which need another couple of hours until finished, will they be interrupted/fail by shutdown?

Yes they will interrupt the backup process, and if you enabled reporting per mail it will list it as failed
When you issue a :
  • init 6
  • shutdown -h
  • shutdown -r
  • reboot
it will stop the service that is running the backup as its being overruled from system itself and in the report (if emailing it is enabled) you will see :

interrupted by signal
On the VM/CT it was trying to backup.

all consecutive ones in the backup-Job will be listed as :

aborted

Last edited:
Hmm... Thanks. Is there any quick command line request I could pass through a script to check if there are any backup/snapshot proecesses running at present?

Not as far as i know, only indication i have of jobs running is the view of the webUI ( i must confess i have not looked into it deeper)

Also a thing i have not found ( if it is even built-in) .. if a job is interrupted a way to start/continue where it left off.

i mean for example:

• backupjob has 4 CT/VM's configured
  • backup of guest 1 is complete
  • reboot is initiated
  • backup re-starts at VM/CT 2 (as VM/CT was successfull) after reboot.
From what i know the full backupjob is killed, and after the host comes back up a resume is not attempted.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!