How do you dist-upgrade LXC containers?

breakaway9000

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
As in title. I am running 17.04 now which is EoL as of Jan 2018. As a result apt etc are not working. If this was a VM, I'd just go the dist-upgrade route.

Is there an easy way to upgrade the container(s) from 17.04 to the latest version 17.10 or 18.04?

Hi,

normally it is no problem to upgrade the container.
It depends on the container if it is a standard container from the Poxmox repo it will be no problem.
When you use a container from an external source I don't know.

Is there an easy way to upgrade the container(s) from 17.04 to the latest version 17.10 or 18.04?
apt update && apt full-upgrade && do-release-upgrade

Hi,

normally it is no problem to upgrade the container.
It depends on the container if it is a standard container from the Poxmox repo it will be no problem.
When you use a container from an external source I don't know.

apt update && apt full-upgrade && do-release-upgrade
I'm a little confused.

I built a Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS LXC about 6 months ago.
I've ran your command above.

I'm getting the following:

Code:
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
There is no development version of an LTS available.
To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release
set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.

I'm not after a development LTS release, I'm after a final LTS release ?
Am I doing something wrong, or misinterpreting the message?

Afaik do-release-upgrade "waits" for the first point release.
With other words, you either have to wait until 22.04.1 is released or you have to use: do-release-upgrade -d. (You can check before with: do-release-upgrade -d -c.)

Do not forget the backup beforehand! ;)

I'm still learning, foolish! Thank you.

I didn't edit the sources.list (I just googled) should I have done so?
Thank you!

Any idea why after the update, I can't SSH in?

Access denied?
But SSH is enabled and allow root is in the sshd_config file.

SSH is live and working just no access, have to get in via console right now

Not sure if this has something to do with it:
ssh-rsa is now disabled by default in OpenSSH 363. See bug 1961833 210 to learn how to selectively re-enable it if necessary. If you are upgrading a system remotely over SSH, you should check that you are not relying on this to ensure that you will retain access after the upgrade.
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy-jellyfish-release-notes/24668

What I found out is, that Guacamole also can not connect via SSH (password authentication) after the upgrade anymore, but with Windows Terminal (PowerShell) it works normal.

Did you try a complete shutdown (not only reboot) of the LXC after the upgrade already?
And is nesting enabled (nesting=1 under Features in the LXC-Options) for the LXC?

Otherwise I have no idea, sorry.

I suspect some of my issues, may have been due to the fact my proxmox was slightly out of date and unable to work with the latest kernel which 22.04 requires.

I think anyhow.

I've opted to nuke and re-create from scratch and of course, update proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!