[SOLVED] How do I access services on a VM?

Z

Zukaro

I'm not sure how to access services running on VMs under Proxmox. Right now I'm trying to get a Minecraft server running under Proxmox for example, and all my ports are forwarded in the router (everything on the router is setup). I'm not sure how to forward those ports through Proxmox or something like that (I'm not really sure what it is I need to do). The Minecraft server is up and running, I'm just unable to connect and I'm not sure how I can (I assume I'd be having the same issues with every other service such as web services etc).

Basically what I'm trying to do is be able to access things running on the virtual machines of the Proxmox server. I'm using my external IP to connect (the IP my entire connection is under) but it's not working for things running on a VM (I am able to access Proxmox via the web interface like that, it's just things in the virutal machines that I'm unable to access).

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm guessing that you are forwarding the ports incorrectly - i dont know much about minecraft BUT i assume that you will need to port forward to the internal IP for the minecraft server and NOT the proxmox server in fact i wouldnt give the proxmox external access at all, keep it available only on the local LAN, and if you desperately need to access it remotely install a VM and use some remote access software to the VM rather than the proxmox box.

The way I've got things setup is the one router has a DMZ set for that computer (to the Proxmox IP however), and the router after that has the proper ports forwarded and point at the router. Do I need to setup a DMZ specifically for the IP address of the virtual machine? For example, lets say the VM is on 10.0.2.100, and the Proxmox server is on 192.168.3.2, do I need to setup a DMZ for 10.0.2.100? I know that's a completely different network, but I was able to get an Internet connection while on the VM, so idk.

Let's suppose you have created a KVM vm with one interface "linked" to proxmox vmbr0 bridge (so to proxmox eth0). Well, proxmox does nothing to the traffic that goes to the vm, think the bridge vmbr0 just like a physical network switch where you "plug/connect" your vm ethernet cards.
So, back to your question, configure the router just like you would to to reach a physical PC with the network settings you VM has, you must know some networking basics that are not related to being a proxmox VM or a physical stand alone hardware.

I got it working, thanks.
(just had to add the IP address of the VM to the router)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!