How can I upgrade to latest version of 6.1? (Now that 6.2 is out)

Nov 2, 2019
Hi, I've been a lazy system administrator for my little Proxmox install. I upgraded to 6.1 back in February and haven't been keeping up with updates. 6.2 is out now - but I like to let things soak a bit before upgrading. Is it possible for me to somehow upgrade to the latest version of 6.1 packages for now?

i.e. can I somehow travel back in time to the day before 6.2 release and do a `dist-upgrade` then?

Cheers!

Is it possible for me to somehow upgrade to the latest version of 6.1 packages for now?

Technically yes, you can upgrade to a specific version, but you'd need to do some specific version requests/pinning and it will quickly get a PITA due to package interdependencies, so if you're not well versed with Debian package management, dependency conflict resolving, etc...I'd suggest to avoid that.

We're doing rolling releases anyway, and you should frequently update, best when you get the mail notification about new package updates available. The 6.x versions are point releases which mostly summarize the last updates plus a few new ones plus a new ISO release - so if you upgraded in February the jump to 6.2 now isn't that big.

Reactions: smallsomething
Hi,

just run Upgrade in the GUI
NODE->Updates->Upgrade

or run it on the Command Line.
Code:
apt update && apt full-upgrade

More information you get here
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_system_software_updates
Hey @wolfgang

would there be any reason why our 6.2-4 wont upgrade to the latest 6.3-2.

not sure why but we have 1 host that upgraded to 6.3-2 and another that wont upgrade past 6.2-4.

have rebooted and tried the
Code:
still no luck we keep getting the below output.

Code:
Your System is up-to-date

any help would be greatly appreciated.

""Cheers
G

Ensure you have valid Proxmox VE repos setup, meaning, either a subscription for the enterprise repository or else the public available no-subscription (note, that one is not suited for production, but for sure better than not repository!)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories

Ensure you have valid Proxmox VE repos setup, meaning, either a subscription for the enterprise repository or else the public available no-subscription (note, that one is not suited for production, but for sure better than not repository!)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories
thanks mate that worked.

for what ever reason the enterprise repo was disabeled, no idea why as its a new install and is normally enabled by default.

any hoo, uncommitted it
ran
Code:
and problem resolved :)

thanks for the heads up, i may not have checked the repos for a while.

""Cheers
G

Technically yes, you can upgrade to a specific version, but you'd need to do some specific version requests/pinning and it will quickly get a PITA due to package interdependencies, so if you're not well versed with Debian package management, dependency conflict resolving, etc...I'd suggest to avoid that.

We're doing rolling releases anyway, and you should frequently update, best when you get the mail notification about new package updates available. The 6.x versions are point releases which mostly summarize the last updates plus a few new ones plus a new ISO release - so if you upgraded in February the jump to 6.2 now isn't that big.

Okay well I've been even lazier since my original post in this thread, and I'm still running the same version back from February (web UI showing me pve-manager/6.1-5).

I'm a subscriber but I've never gotten any emails about new releases, is this something I can subscribe to?

From what it sounds like in the first 2 replies to this thread, Debian doesn't have a way to upgrade to just 6.1, and now my only option is to do a `full-upgrade` which will give me 6.3. This is fine, but how much more of a pain is this going to be now since I've waited even longer? The only callout on the release page I see is for EFI on 6.2 - but it isn't clear to me how to check this (I do run ZFS) - it also isn't completely clear: does this apply to VMs booting via EFI or my host?

(Also, this page may need to be updated if you're recommending `apt full-upgrade` now?)

I'm a subscriber but I've never gotten any emails about new releases, is this something I can subscribe to?
If you configure an email address for the root@pam user, it sends out mails if there are new package updates available.

There's also a newsletter for all Proxmox Products you could subscribe to, check out https://www.proxmox.com/en/news (form is on the right side)

From what it sounds like in the first 2 replies to this thread, Debian doesn't have a way to upgrade to just 6.1, and now my only option is to do a `full-upgrade` which will give me 6.3. This is fine, but how much more of a pain is this going to be now since I've waited even longer? The only callout on the release page I see is for EFI on 6.2 - but it isn't clear to me how to check this (I do run ZFS) - it also isn't completely clear: does this apply to VMs booting via EFI or my host?

In general, it's advised to upgrade as soon as package updates become available, using the enterprise repository means that the packages are already working for hundreds of thousands setups - there can be still a hiccup for your specific setup, but chances are rather low. The point releases are mostly a synchronization point for all the package updates and releases done since the last point release.

The known issue and workaround regarding EFI disks is meant for VMs, as mentioned in that paragraph. I put that information a bit more early now.

Bigger setups often use a test bed/lab for testing updates, this can be a carbon copy of the production system, but also a similar, but maybe older, decommissioned, hardware. Playing through updates even in virtual machines (nested PVE) can help too, as one can play out various scenarios and complex setups quite cheaply, but this also leaves a few things out of the test.

For ZFS there's not much in this release, a "bread and butter" update to ZFS 0.8.5 and a newer kernel.

(Also, this page may need to be updated if you're recommending `apt full-upgrade` now?)
The situation is currently a bit confusing with both apt and apt-* tools mentioned. But, apt is just the modern replacement for "human" (i.e., unscripted) use of the apt tools, it unifies the most used sub commands of apt-get, apt-cache and the like in one tool. So, the end result of using apt-get dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade should be the same, the latter is a bit nicer to use - for example, it has a fancy progress bar, among other things.

If you configure an email address for the root@pam user, it sends out mails if there are new package updates available.

There's also a newsletter for all Proxmox Products you could subscribe to, check out https://www.proxmox.com/en/news (form is on the right side)

Got it. My Internet provider blocks SMTP though. I don't want to get this thread too off-topic, but is there any way in the GUI to set SMTP relay credentials, or anything of the like?

In general, it's advised to upgrade as soon as package updates become available, using the enterprise repository means that the packages are already working for hundreds of thousands setups - there can be still a hiccup for your specific setup, but chances are rather low. The point releases are mostly a synchronization point for all the package updates and releases done since the last point release.

The known issue and workaround regarding EFI disks is meant for VMs, as mentioned in that paragraph. I put that information a bit more early now.

Bigger setups often use a test bed/lab for testing updates, this can be a carbon copy of the production system, but also a similar, but maybe older, decommissioned, hardware. Playing through updates even in virtual machines (nested PVE) can help too, as one can play out various scenarios and complex setups quite cheaply, but this also leaves a few things out of the test.

For ZFS there's not much in this release, a "bread and butter" update to ZFS 0.8.5 and a newer kernel.

Yeah I need to get better at keeping this box up to date. This is a small server hosting a bunch of little VMs/containers and as long as it is just working, I have very little reason to touch the box. Perhaps an auto update can be leveraged here? Though sometimes your releases do have these caveats that require someone to manually take a look at things.

As long as your email list (https://www.proxmox.com/en/news) gives me the big update announcements (6.1, 6.1, 6.3) then I can just use that. Ideally, it would be nice to get an announcement about 1 week before it goes live, so I can be sure to update to the latest patches of whichever version I'm running before committing time to the minor version bump in case it does require some hands-on.

I don't want to get this thread too off-topic, but is there any way in the GUI to set SMTP relay credentials, or anything of the like?
There's no GUI, but you can set that up in the hosts postfix config (there are quite a few tutorials out there, searching for "postfix relayhost with authentication", me may want to add a short one to our docs though).

Ideally, it would be nice to get an announcement about 1 week before it goes live, so I can be sure to update to the latest patches of whichever version I'm running before committing time to the minor version bump in case it does require some hands-on.
We release rolling updates, and so the update from a week before the release announcement and the actual release is normally not that big anymore, so I'm not sure if this actually helps. I'd rather suggest trying updating periodically, weekly, monthly, or at least for every announced point release, normally the caveats are either small and specific and can be fixed up relatively easily, we try really hard to avoid bigger ones during minor releases and a major release gets its own upgrade document anyway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!