how best to plan out array with the following

daddy_fatsacks

Mar 25, 2017
hello,

I am picking up a server later today which will have access to 6 drives. I have 4x 5TB and 2 SSDs.

I wanted to use proxmox on the server and either pass through disk management to an LVM running Rockstor or OMV.

From my reading I have determined that best practice would be to keep the host free to serve VMs.

My plan was to create a RAID-10 array out of the 4 5TB drives, which I could use for RAW storage, CIFS/NFS share etc.

My confusion comes from with deciding what to do with the SSDs. Ideally they would be used to store VMs or I was thinking of using them as cache drives for the 5TB storage drives.

Also, would it be best for me to just leave the 2 SSDs in stripe mode and install proxmox there (instead of my original idea to put it on USB stick)

or split them up, use 1 SSD for proxmox installation, and the other for cache or VMs ?

How would I best plan this out based on the drives that I currently have? The server only has 6 bays and I don't plan to use more than 6 drives.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
I would do another approach - if your server has enough ram, use all disks + ssd for zfs to install pve on and give your nas-VM one small vm-hdd (system) and a big one for data.
So you can use snapshot, onlineresizing and perhaps zfssync.

Udo

I wanted to stay away from ZFS and use BTRFS instead.

Would doing a raid-1 out of my SSDs for the proxmox host OS drive and also use to carve VM disk.

and create a new raid-10 out of the spindles for storage.

would this be the best approach? I don't really like the idea of having proxmox and the VMs using the same disk though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!