Host runs iptables for the VPS-es?

Chow

Apr 28, 2008
Hi,

I've been searching on this forum and I do find several topics on iptables but not an answer to my specific question.

I want to run iptables on the hardware node in order to protect the 5 vps-es running on it. The 5 vps-es all run similar services like http and ftp. Is this possible?

I'm not too familiar with iptables so is there a script which is used by others and how did you implement it?

Thnx in advance..

Running something like this should work

Code:
iptables -F

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p all -j ACCEPT  
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p all -s localhost  -i eth0 -j DROP

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT
iptables -A FORWARD -j REJECT

iptables-save
To put some meat on the bone,

iptables -F gets rid of any existing rules so we can start with a clean slate..

The first rule says accept anything that is related or established to an existing connection.

The second line says much the same as the above, but in repect of forwarded packets to your VEs

The 3rd line says allow anything out of your server.

The 4th says allow anything to connect from localhost.

5 and 6 are to allow SSH and HTTP

7 says allow pinging

8 Says drop anything that says it is localhost, which turns up on Eth0, as that should never happen, but need to check whether that rule is relavent to proxmox.

The next 4 forwarding rules allow pings, ssh, and httpd to be forwarded to the virtual machines, and also allow DNS lookups.

The last two rules say reject anything and everything else.

Finally ipables-save commits the rules so that they stay after a reboot.

If it all goes horribly wrong, then iptables -F from the physical console will clear everything so you can have another go.

Joe

Mmmm, one small issue. I used these rules and added rules for other ports used like snmpd and ftp. I opened all known ports for ftp but it doesn't seem to work. We can connect to ftp but we can't retrieve a list of files. We tried both active and passive mode.
What should I add to have ftp work??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!