High risk of dataloss through human oversight

IMHO that is inconsistent ('Start VM', 'Stop VM', ..) - Maybe icons instead of text?

How about removing the "remove" VM button and place it on the Summary tab of a VM.
That way there is:
1. no confusion with two remove buttons when on the hardware tab
2. the most dangerous button is only in one place where it should be quite obvious.

I see no reason to have the remove vm button next to start/stop/restart, too easy to make a mistake.

Last edited:
Really (I wonder why I added all those confirmation dialogs)?

I think you and your team did a great job. There is just a necessity to distinct messages advertising data-loss an other ones. And the default button for data-loss-cases should always be NO, not YES!!!!

How about removing the "remove" VM button and place it on the Summary tab of a VM.
That way there is:
1. no confusion with two remove buttons when on the hardware tab
2. the most dangerous button is only in one place where it should be quite obvious.

I see no reason to have the remove vm button next to start/stop/restart, too easy to make a mistake.

I fully agree... beautiful solution... also fast to accomplish by the developers.

Summerization of solutions:
1. relocating the button "remove VM" into the summary tab
2. red text/background/images in crucial confirmations concerning loss of data
3. default answer in crucial confirmations should be set to "NO" (keeping data).

Last edited:
Nobody will find the button there?
You could also create a tab "Virtual Machines" (per Server or per Datacenter) where the user can view all virtual machines on one page like the old Proxmox GUI. Additional advantage: The user could start/stop VMs in one place and wouldn't need to switch around between different VMs anymore...

Virtual Machines
VM1: START | STOP | ... | DELETE
VM2: START | STOP | ... | DELETE
VM3: START | STOP | ... | DELETE

OpenVZ Containers
CT1: START | STOP | ... | DELETE
CT2: START | STOP | ... | DELETE
CT3: START | STOP | ... | DELETE

Using red color is a very bad idea.
Where is your imagination?... Checkbox with bold font, or yellow background, or danger sign (or other images), thin red border...

How about such an option pane?
Delete VM

• [*=1]"Delete all data which is associated to this VM as well"
    [*=1]"Don't delete any data. Just delete the VM" (default value)[OK] [Cancel]
(OK) (CANCEL)

Or this kind of message box?
Delete VM
Caution: This step can cause data-loss.
(Delete VM only, keep data) (Delete VM and Data) (Cancel)

So you would imrove the comfort and also make it more secure.

Another idea: A list, where the user can choose which virtual harddisks to delete...

Agree here. Please file a bug at http://bugzilla.proxmox.com
okay, done.

Last edited:
You could also create a tab "Virtual Machines" (per Server or per Datacenter) where the user can view all virtual machines on one page like the old Proxmox GUI. Additional advantage: The user could start/stop VMs in one place and wouldn't need to switch around between different VMs anymore...
Hi,
this can be done allready - just use right-click in the datacenter-view on a VM and you can start,stop,console...

Udo

OK, we will use the Ext.Msg.WARNING icon for such actions - hope you like that ;-)

ok. I think your users/clients will appreciate any kind of importance-distinction in your messages. Whatever you choose as illustration...

I think that renaming the button ("destroy vm") and/or putting a RED background colour in the dialog box would be great.

While I agree with the ProxMox team in their decision to only confirm once, and I think the confirmations are enough, I would have to say I think this change would be a welcome one...

1. relocating the button "remove VM" into the summary tab
Nobody will find the button there?

I disagree, when you click on a VM the summary tab is the default and the remove vm button would be right there.

Having remove next to restart is bad, easy mistake there.
When viewing the Hardware tab the screen now has two remove buttons, that is bad too.

Even if it is harder for a few users to find I would argue that is a good thing.
If it prevents someone from accidentally deleting a VM then it would be a better UI design than we have today.

Lastly, IMHO, it does not make sense to mix buttons that manage a VM(start/stop/reset/console/etc) with a button that destroys a VM.

Lastly, IMHO, it does not make sense to mix buttons that manage a VM(start/stop/reset/console/etc) with a button that destroys a VM.

I am working for more than one year with that design, an never deleted a VM by accident. Does this really happen for you?

I am working for more than one year with that design, an never deleted a VM by accident. Does this really happen for you?
I have not but the OP did and I have pointed out that I see how it can be confusing in previous posts.

Yes people should read the messages and if they did it would prevent the problem.
But people make mistakes, get stressed and in a hurry they loose focus.

The UI is not helping the user when there are two remove buttons when looking at VM hardware tab.
The UI is not helping the user when the remove button is right next to the restart button.

If the UI can be slightly tweaked to help prevent human error then that is a good improvement that should be made.

If the UI can be slightly tweaked to help prevent human error then that is a good improvement that should be made.

I already made some changes (see pvetest repository) - if that is still not good enough we can improve further.

Hi there,

I would also propose to place much more space between the 'remove'-bottons.

At this moment I am thinking of at least 5km.

In my case I had a marked (stopped) vm on the left and the marked tab backup. While getting rid of the old backups I pressed the wrong Remove-'button' (im my Case 'Entfernen')

Now I am back from Kroll Ontrack and thought it might be interesting writing it to you ...

I'm not familiar with EXTJS, but is there no x-default-warning kind of a class to redden the modal dialog? This should be a good distinction.

I was told by a friend to check "VM protection" on the option tab.

I wondered where to find such and noticed this feature is on proxmox VE4.x. mine was a VE3.4 ...

Now I`m upgrading everywhere and checking those "VM protection" checkbox.

Greets&thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!