High Availability - Fencing

ukhost4u

Oct 30, 2008
Hello.

We are looking to test the new HA feature of Proxmox 2 but we run SuperMicro MircoCloud units and Dell PE M610 Blade units. As such both of these units have management interfaces but I am not sure if they would work with Fencing? I can see this as my only option with these types of hardware as the power supplies are managed for all the servers within the blade meaning we can't use an APC.

Is this possible at all? Even if there is no guide for doing this yet, I would like to now if our hardware will work with this type of setup.

Thanks,

Paul Hughes
Http://www.ukhost4u.com/

Both Dell and Supermicro supports IPMI. Correctly configured you should be able to use ipmi for your fencing.

Hello.

Yes that's what I expected, has anyone setup Proxmox HA yet using IPMI and has a guide to doing this?

I guess its something which will maybe come with time as more people test the feature.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello.

Thanks for this, I will get to testing this shortly!

I do have one follow up question, we currently use Promox mainly for running OpenVZ but looking at this in detail do we require to use NFS to mount the storage? We were hoping we could have used our Fiber Channel connections to our EMC Storage Server which does not support NFS.

I have ran OpenVZ before using iSCSI shared storage over GB networking and have always found this slow, we are deploying 8GB FC connections to each of our blades at the moment and this would be better as the storage medium.

Any feedback on this would be a great help.

Paul

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!