Hetzner IP + /28 Subnet

Burak

Dec 14, 2015
Hi all,
I have a problem to bridge my new subnet to proxmox

My main IP is : 5.9.242.X

My Subnet is : 5.9.195.XXX /28

I cant configure my IP's to use in Proxmox anyone can help me ?

Hi Burak,
See my reply to another user a few threads below yours
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-4-hetzner-extra-subnet-configuration.25019/

This should give you enough info to start using your subet. How many bridge interfaces you end up with depends entirely on how many ip's you want to use with a single bridged interface. See for mine I ended up with one ip per bridge.

When I read up on the Hetzner routing part, it did make me wonder why they'd moved away from "managed" disparate MAC addresses that effectively puts them in complete control. I found it difficult to implement initially with Proxmox until I arrived at that config.

Hope that gets you running

Kindest regards

I wanna add my ips to one bridge only to use vm's but i tried ur configuration i cant access ur machine when i try it

OK, can you list contents of /etc/network/interfaces and anything in /etc/sysctl.conf not commented out?
Also what is the current state of your firewall ?

i am using debian i am not using firewall i am waiting to reboot machine because i restore my interfaces in rescue mode because when i set my ips its not working i cant access my server

Right, proxmox is based on debian, is this an install from the proxmox media or a manual installation?

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  5.9.80.2XX
        netmask  255.255.255.224
        gateway  5.9.80.2XX
        up route add -net 5.9.80.2XX netmask 255.255.255.224 gw 5.9.80.2XX eth0

iface eth0 inet6 static
        address  2a01:4f8:161:XXXXX
        netmask  64
        gateway  fe80::1

Code:
Subnet:    5.9.195.1XX /29
Netmask:    255.255.255.248
Broadcast:    5.9.195.1XX
Usable IP addresses:

5.9.195.105 to 5.9.195.110

these are my subnet

Code:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
kernel.sysrq = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0

and my sysctl a added that

ok, see on mine I moved the ip address from the physical etho to bridge vmbr0 and I dont appear to have any extra routes.
In yours I don't see any extra bridge information. I wrote before, due to the Hetzner network it would appear you HAVE to sacrifice one of the additional ip's in the subnet to be able to route the rest. I suspect the only time you don't need this is if you're using pure linux containers.

Taking your config, I suspect this would work and then allow you to interface machines onto vmbr1:

Code:
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
  address  5.9.80.2XX
  netmask  255.255.255.224
  gateway  5.9.80.2XX
  bridge_ports eth0
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
  bridge_ports none
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
  address  5.9.195.XX
  netmask  255.255.255.224
  bridge_ports none
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0

so that is now correct.
You then assign your ip's in your vm's attached to vmbr1 and give it the gateway of the ip you assigned to vmbr2.

Can you write sample route here and can i use the first ip to assigned vmbr?

As I wrote, I don't believe you need any route beyond what you have. If you have created a bridge with an ip address from your subnet and you can ping that from the internet, simply use the other addresses on a vm connected to that same bridge and use the ip as gateway. try that

I cant connect and i wanna ask a question i have totally 8 ip in a /29 block and one is going for subnet start and one for broadcast i can use 6 ip only and if i assign an ip to vmbr i got 5 ip active, can i use the assigned ip of vmbr ? or i can use only 5 ip ?

Hi Burak, Hi All

I have the same questions as you do.. i am not able to use the last ip in the subnet /29. have tried multiple options... it will be good if anyone else more knowledgeable can confirm this..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!