Help needed with migrating Proxmox install from 2 x 500GB HDD (mirror) to 2 x 250GB SSD (mirror)

FlyingSky

Jan 6, 2019
I have a fairly basic home server set up running Proxmox (version 5.3-6) and in a couple of days I plan on replacing the 2 x 500GB hard drives, acting as it's boot device, with 2 x 250GB SSDs. This plan has sparked some questions that I was wondering if anyone here could help with:

1. What is the best way to transfer all of my containers and settings to the new drives? Mass storage is held separately in a 3 x 2TB RAIDZ1 array with specific folders mounted into the containers so I'd imagine that will not be a problem. Is that correct?

2. Will I need to un-mount and re-mount my mass storage zpool and if so, how should I go about doing that?

3. So far I've been unable to boot direct into the ZFS mirror so I've been first booting into a Proxmox install USB and then booting to recovery mode. Is there a way around this hack?

I have a similar situation as well, this is what I have learned so far,

First off try to to shrink your 2X500 GB to lowest size ideally lesser than 250GB
Next use clonezilla to clone hdd to ssd with option enabled to ignore size check.

That should do it if not check boot flag and uuid.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!