(help) Fresh Install: No native mode, forcing panel scaling

hikari

Jan 31, 2011
Good day guys.

I've been using proxmox for almost 2 years now and love it.
I ran into an issue when I upgraded from 1.9 to 2.1. Was racking my brain on this and finally decided to say screw it and did a fresh install on another drive as a test. Seems I am getting the same error. FYI did not have any issues with 1.9

vmserver kernel: [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: No native mode, forcing panel scaling

Any help would be greatly apreshiated.

This is straight from a fresh wipe and install via 2.1 iso (usb)
have not touched anything after installation.

Please advise

google leads me here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=123783

Add
Code:
drm_kms_helper.poll=0
to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

e100 thank you for your insight.

Seems like the first thing everyone says is google.
lol well of course I googled that should be the first thing someone does.
Kinda irritating if you ask me. Question is for those who are more educated in proxmox and who have come across the problem/bug
There are a few things wrong with what you posted.(could very well be miscommunication)

First this is a BANDAID and not a fix.

That being said.
First thing iIstated is that I am running version 2.1 which means we are using Grub2.
Knowing this there is no Menu.list any longer. They use the /boot/grub/grub.cfg which is a generated config.

For those of you who want to use this bandaid here are the steps

You need to create a config file "modprobe.conf" in directory /etc/modprobe.d/
Add the following line (note you need to start the line with the options command) and save

options drm_kms_helper poll=0

Like I said it's a bandaid just like using the quiet command.

You are right about grub2, not had to mess with grub on 2.x so it did not even cross my mind that there is no menu.lst

Agree that this is a bandaid.

Was not trying to imply you should google, my intention was to point out that I had no idea if this would help but google lead me to something that looks like a solution to the issue.

I doubt the Proxmox devs can fix this.
From my understanding this is an issue with the video driver in the kernel.

This should be reported upstream to the openvz project and/or to redhat.

e100,

Yha that was my thinking as well,
Not sure what they changed I hoped they had an idea on the cause.
Worked fine in 1.9

thanks again for the input..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!