Help deciding how to share ZFS pools across my home network?

nertskull

Sep 13, 2020
I have two ZFS pools with multiple mount points for various datasets. I want to share those across my home network. In reading around there seem to be a lot of ways to do that and no consensus so I thought I'd try to explain my use case and get advice.

I mainly run linux machines, but I do have one windows laptop.

Option 1 seems to be to use Proxmox itself to share the drives using NFS and Samba to my network. Proxmox is already the ZFS mount point because I use some of the pools to hold my ISOs and other data. Pro to this option is I can use ZFS built in NFS directly. And it's seems pretty straightforward. Cons are I (think) have to open up my proxmox to more of my network. Right now I'm trying to use VLANs to keep proxmox on a separate network with my VMs/LXCs on separate VLANs. Also, i don't get snapshot backups of VMs. Also I then have to run all my backup scripts (I use duplicity) to handle backups as well as moving backups offsite (backblaze b2). That seems like a lot of work for Proxmox that should just be doing my VMs (at least in my mind).

Option 2 is to setup a VM/LXC. This way I have the VM do all the 'work' like backups, and uploads, and snapshots, etc. But I'm not sure the best way to mount the drives in. Storage pools that I mount? Bind mounts if I use LXC? NFS from proxmox still and then just use the VM to run the backup stuff? But for that then I also have to set up Samba on proxmox I guess?

A related question: how do I deal with file permissions? I have 6 users in my home. Is it best to just sync a /etc/passwd file across all machines to keep UID/GID the same? I looked a little into FreeIPA, but it seemed pretty intense for my needs. But I also like learning stuff if it really is that useful.

What would be a good route for sharing these pools across my home network? Thanks everyone!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!