help,"Booting from Hard Disk ..." the problem

peterwang

Sep 13, 2010
hello,how to solve on "Booting from Hard Disk ..." the problem,I also encoutered this problem.
My situation is:
1,from a windows xp to proxmox 1.5
2,use "How to migrate directly from a Windows physical machine to a VM raw file using SSH"

as follows:
1)use SYSRESCCD 1.5.4 boot my notebook hp nc6400(CPU:T5600 MEMERY:1G HARDDISK:80G), have been implemented the mergeide.reg.
2)config ip address (ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up)
3)create a new VM,kvm vmid=103 harddisk space is 32GB eth=E1000 diskinterface=IDE
4)dd if=/dev/sda | ssh root@192.168.1.4 dd of=/var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.raw

but boot fails,"Booting from Hard Disk ..."sits there!!!

How do you solve?

post the output of 'pveversion -v'

s2:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.5-5 (pve-manager/1.5/4627)
running kernel: 2.6.18-2-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.5-5
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-11
pve-firmware: 1.0-3
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-8
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve8
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-5

did you select this disk as boot device? I assume yes.

use a live-cd to check if the migrated disk is ok and you got all data, boot loader, etc.

Hi,

your screenshots show that you are using a virtio disk, not an ide disk. That cannot work. Reconfigure the vm for ide in proxmox and try again

Hi,

your screenshots show that you are using a virtio disk, not an ide disk. That cannot work. Reconfigure the vm for ide in proxmox and try again

I disagree, virtio works just fine.
Of course you need to install the virtio driver in XP, but that is not the issue here. If it was the virtio that was the problem, XP would start and then fail with a blue screen... "Inacsseible boot device"

This looks more like an MBR problem.

Do this: Boot the KVM with a live distro. Once started enter "fdisk -l".
If you see a partition on your RAW disk, mount it and check if all files are present.

If the files are present, grab the MBR from your original harddisk with "dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.dat bs=446 count=1" and put it on your KVM from WITHIN the previously running live distro with "dd if=mbr.dat of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1"

Let's hear how i went.

Last edited:
Well, of course virtio works if the drivers are installed.

But Peter told us that he has just converted a physical windows machine to kvm. And if you do this you have no virtio drivers installed ...

I have the same problem. It is not a mbr issue. It is just a clean install and after installing service pack 2 to windows 2008 R2, VM stucks with "Booting from Hard Disk "
pve-manager: 1.6-5 (pve-manager/1.6/5261)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-24
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-24
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-22
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

I have the same problem. It is not a mbr issue. It is just a clean install and after installing service pack 2 to windows 2008 R2, VM stucks with "Booting from Hard Disk "..

you talk about servicepack 2 for win2003r2? there is no one for win2008r2.

is this reproduce able? post your pveversion -v and also your VM settings.

You got a Win2008 sp1 running, installed sp2 and then it does not boot anymore?

This happens if you activate windows by those activators in warez sites. You can reproduce it. Those activators edits mbr which causes VM to not to boot. But with physical machine, it boots up. I was using those activators for local test machines.

We just did 2 successful P2V migrations (w2k server and win2003 server) using clonezilla. I want to recommend this method as it seems to be very fast, reliable and OS independent as it uses live cd´s.

short howto:
  • you need to get http://clonezilla.org/, which is a live linux cd.
  • prepare the host, make sure standard IDE drivers enabled (for winxp/win2003 just use the mergeide.reg, for w2k I followed this link (solution 2 worked for me): http://www.motherboard.windowsreinstall.com/problems.htm
  • now, boot the physical host with clonezilla, go for beginner mode and select device-device and then remote, just follow the wizard
  • on the Proxmox VE host, prepare a KVM guest, make sure you got a big enough ide disk assigned (add one gb extra to be on the save side) and also boot this KVM guest with the live cd and execute a shell.
  • become root and run fdisk (fdisk /dev/sda/) to make sure that sda is here, exit fdisk with 'w'. this was essential.
  • now enter all command from the wizard from the source server tells you (configure network and request the copy process)
  • after success (the wizard just copies the data, means I got a 80 gb disk but only 5 gb data on it so it was just a few minutes for the whole process, gbit network) just change the boot device to the hard disk and start the VM. windows will install all needed drivers automatically, just the intel nic for e1000 must be loaded from ISO (i got one big iso from intel containing all nic drivers).

I wish I could use this method for my virtuozzo servers. And threat them as physical machine. But they do not have a booting screen. So live cd solution is useless. But I will try this method for my physical servers.

Thanks for update.

virtuozzo for windows or linux?

yes, I understand this special situation. what about using a backup tool supporting bare-metal restore?

I tried many different of them. But some of them need booting from cd OR some can not take bare metal image as they can not detect harddisks becase of virtuozzo file system.
Do you have some that you suggest trying?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!