HDD to kvm not working

D

Deleted member 98647

Hey!

So I have a MegaRAID controller in my server, and I have several disks attached. All of them configured to its individual RAID0. I used this command:

Code:
-CfgEachDskRaid0 -aAll

After that, I used this link to passthrough my HDD to my Lubuntu kvm. However, I cannot mount the HDD, I get the following error: "mount: /mnt/DATA: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.". I can see the HDD in the KDE partition manager.

If I try to mount the drive directly to proxmox, I can't, as proxmox doesn't see the partitions. (/dev/sdc HDD is a 3TB Toshiba drive with EXT4, pics below) I tried to mount the exact same HDD to a liveUSB Ubuntu, I managed to mount the drive and have access to all files. Furthermore, I used a spare drive (/dev/sdd) with unimportant data to test this: attached to my server, configured as a 'single' RAID0. Tried to mount directly to proxmox...nothing. Formatted the drive using proxmox, created a new GPT table and EXT4 filesystem. Now, everything is working with that HDD, even passing it through using the above mentioned link worked! It looks like the drives "lose" their partition table when attached to my raid-controller... My 3TB Toshiba drive has more than 1TB of data (confirmed using another machine), it was never been formatted to use DOS partition table...

My setup: IBM System x3650 M3
-80GB HDD for Proxmox
-120GB SSD for VMs
-multiple drives, waiting to be passed through to different VMs
(all of them connected to the same RAID-controller with a backplane)

Any ideas?

IMG_6527-min.jpgIMG_6528-min.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas?
Even though this is a bit older, but honestly, what about not using a RAID controller in which you have to configure RAID 0 for each disk? Who knows what or how the RAID controller is doing in that case. Either a simple HBA or SATA controller should be much less problematic :)

I have gone through that lesson myself in the past ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!