HDD got renamed by itself?

Jarvar

Aug 27, 2019
Hello. I have some odd behaviour occuring with my node.
I have dual 240GB drives for the OS and then dual 960GB drives for storage of VMS.
Normally the naming was sda and sdb for the OS drives and sdc and sdd for the storage drives.
I run smartctl through cron daily and noticed that sda was missing a few days ago.
I checked the gui and it shows now sdb, sdc,sdd and sde. How would my system rename the drives by themselves? Is there any way to revert it back? or is there some bigger issue going on? Thanks.

Hi, to avoid such problems you should use uuids instead
Code:
ls -lah /dev/disk/by-uuid

Hi, to avoid such problems you should use uuids instead
Code:
ls -lah /dev/disk/by-uuid
Thank you. Sorry I have been preoccupied with other matters. Is this normal behaviour?
I have several nodes and have setup several nodes in the past which had crontabs set to report on sda, sdb, sdc and sdd which worked without issue. However with this one server, the hdd got renamed by itself. The whole system is functioning, just that these things got shifted over.
I will probably go through the process of doing this the way you suggested, but wondering why it would even rename them and shift them over?
Anything to be concerned about?

Is this normal behaviour?
Yes, that the names /dev/sda, /dev/sdb can change is normal :)

If your machine has more than one SATA, SCSI or IDE disk controller, the order in which their corresponding device nodes are added is arbitrary. This may result in device names like /dev/sda and /dev/sdb switching around on each boot, culminating in an unbootable system, kernel panic, or a block device disappearing. Persistent naming solves these issues. [0]

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Persistent_block_device_naming

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!