having trouble setting up a cluster

bäm!

Oct 21, 2011
Hi, I'm still new to this so please bear with me. I have been trying to setup a 2-node-cluster closely following the steps laid out by the wiki. I created the cluster from node1 and am now trying to add node2 by logging in node2 via ssh and typing "pvecm add (ipaddress of node2)".

I get the following error message:
Code:
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/etc/pve/cluster.conf"
ccs_tool: Error: unable to parse requested configuration file

command 'ccs_tool lsnode -c /etc/pve/cluster.conf' failed: exit code 1
unable to add node: command failed (ssh [I][ipaddress][/I] -o BatchMode=yes pvecm addnode node2 --force 1)

Do you have any idea what the problem might be here? I've a feeling that it's something quite obvious I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Hallo Dietmar,

The file didn't exist yet. I also tried to create cluster.conf manually first which gave me another error message (something like "file already exists"). As I said, I'm probably missing something fundamental here. I also couldn't start "pvecm status" on node2 (just on node1 where the cluster was created). Maybe I have to start certain daemons before I can execute "pvecm add"? How does the cluster (which was created from node1) communicate with other nodes that haven't been added yet?

It exists one node1, where the cluster was created but not on node2 which I was trying to add before I got the error message.

It exists one node1, where the cluster was created but not on node2 which I was trying to add before I got the error message.

It is quite difficult to help if you do not answer my questions. So what is the content of /etc/pve/cluster.conf on node1?

Sorry, I somehow overread that. The content is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="proxmox-cluster" config_version="1">

<cman keyfile="/var/lieb/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
</cman>

<clusternodes>
<clusternode name="node1" votes="1" nodeid="1"/>
</clusternodes>

</cluster>

That path seems wrong "/var/lieb/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey"!

Must be
"/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey"

Hey again, that was a typo (it's "lib"). I'll check on the other stuff next week, thanks for your help so far.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!