Hardware for 7-10 windows 7 KVMs

eak819

May 15, 2014
My Apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this. I was hoping to get some advise on hardware. Here's the setup 7-10 windows 7 installs so remote users can access a program at main office. I was thinking along the lines of 6-8 cores 24 GB of RAM 750 GB HDD.

Any comments or suggestions? Would like to keep the setup as cheap and stable as possible ;).

Thanks,
Ethan

for 1 windows 7 optimal -2 cores, 2 gb ram, 60-70gb hdd... *10
total need optimal pc with 20 gb ram, 600 gb hdd and (2*10)/2= 5 cores (virtual)

or terminal windows 2008?

Hi.

I will do my very best in english.

a) I think you need RDP / Terminalsessions???
b) Take a good Base for a Server!!!
c) Hardware Base:
1x Intel Server System P4304BTLSHCNR
1x Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.3GHz S1155
4x Kingston 8GB (1x8) DDR3 ECC
1x 3ware 9750-4i SAS2 6G PCIe x8 (or 3ware 9650-4i) > the 3ware have a perfekt GUI
1x 3Ware BBU-MODULE-07
4x SAS WD (or SATA WD)

(d) If you need > 1x Windows 2008R2 Guest for AD/DC)
e) 1x Windows 7 64 Ultimate Guest + Thinstuff for Terminalservices.

I think so you need no 7-10 Times of Windows for your User.
But if you realy use 7 Windows 7x Installations then take the SAS-System!
Take the ULTIMATE Edition if you need Multi Display Support. And one more... if you use Thinstuff for Terminal... you need NO Windows CAL or Windows Server System! But you NEED, if you use, an Office OL! Not the cheap Office OEM!

Greetings.

Quickly

Last edited:
for 1 windows 7 optimal -2 cores, 2 gb ram, 60-70gb hdd... *10
total need optimal pc with 20 gb ram, 600 gb hdd and (2*10)/2= 5 cores (virtual)

or terminal windows 2008?

Awesome, Thanks! So on the cores, your saying I could probably get by with 5 cores? This makes sense, I'm currently testing two windows 7 installs on a Dell Vostro 230 (It's what I had laying around) anyway it seems that they can both use two cores at the same time?

Hi.

I will do my very best in english.

a) I think you need RDP / Terminalsessions???
b) Take a good Base for a Server!!!
c) Hardware Base:
1x Intel Server System P4304BTLSHCNR
1x Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.3GHz S1155
4x Kingston 8GB (1x8) DDR3 ECC
1x 3ware 9750-4i SAS2 6G PCIe x8 (or 3ware 9650-4i) > the 3ware have a perfekt GUI
1x 3Ware BBU-MODULE-07
4x SAS WD (or SATA WD)

(d) If you need > 1x Windows 2008R2 Guest for AD/DC)
e) 1x Windows 7 64 Ultimate Guest + Thinstuff for Terminalservices.

I think so you need no 7-10 Times of Windows for your User.
But if you realy use 7 Windows 7x Installations then take the SAS-System!
Take the ULTIMATE Edition if you need Multi Display Support. And one more... if you use Thinstuff for Terminal... you need NO Windows CAL or Windows Server System! But you NEED, if you use, an Office OL! Not the cheap Office OEM!

Greetings.

Quickly

I'm not running any thin clients, in fact usage will probably be minimal through out the day. The reason for 7-10* windows installs is that the program sign in is VIA the on site DC. The way I see it working. User remotes in -> User connects to Windows 7 install VIA RDP

Easily running 13 Windows VM on this machine.Also was able to run 4 Windows VM on a Zotac Atom System...
This was more for testing, whereas, the other system is in full production.

windowsvm.png

Easily running 13 Windows VM on this machine.Also was able to run 4 Windows VM on a Zotac Atom System...
This was more for testing, whereas, the other system is in full production.

windowsvm.png

Awesome, so do you use some sort of RAID array?

Yes, sorry about that.
Am running 6 - 2TB drives on Omnios/Napp-IT ZFS. That system only has 8gb RAM, so it's not beefy, but it has pretty good I/O. This is all running over bonded NICs. This node doesn't really have much load or I/O in comparison to the node that has the Zoneminder servers on them. I think I would be able to run all of the Windows VM from local storage. They don't require much I/O.
Also, with KSM sharing, you can provision more VM's than the resources you have. So it is a good idea to place all of your "similar" VM's on the same node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!