Hard Drive Passthrough

Gaston

Nov 4, 2015
Hello,

I'm passing a couple of hard drives through to a VM. Just wanted to confirm I want the -ideN option. I choose this over -sata or -scsi?

Thanks!

Hi,
I would use for linux virtio and for windows scsi with virtio scsicard.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wolfgang
Hi,
I would use for linux virtio and for windows scsi with virtio scsicard.

Sorry Wolfgang, I probably should have been more clear. I am passing through to an OpenMediaVault VM, so I want raw drive access. Everything I can find tells me to use "qm set NNN -ideN /dev/sdX". I guess part of my confusion is I don't know what the -ide portion is actually doing to me. I see there are also -scsi and -sata options. Is this setting the driver I use? My CPU is VT-D enabled, but I don't have a physical SATA controller other than the motherboard to share with it. My hope was to get as close to raw disk access as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
i am not 100% sure (more like 99.9%), but it specifies what Bus to use and what Device .

it is analogous to the Proxmox Gui - check here:
Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 01.52.23.png
Hence Wolfgang is sayig that for linux you should use "virtio" and for windows "scsi"

When he is talking about "scsi card" he is taling about the scsi controller type - check here:
Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 01.56.58.png

to be 100% sure you understand "qm", you can have a look here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Manual:_qm

it explains
-ide
-scsi
-virtio
-scsihw

and all the other qemu/kvm command line options in depth.

what you want is /dev/sdc from the host mapped in the VM.
so use as I wrote in your case Debian (Linux) virtio.

<vmid>.conf locks like
virtio0: /dev/sdc

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!