Hard Drive from Physical Server to Proxmox VM

ChadRT

Aug 18, 2018
I have a hard drive from a physical server that I have shutdown. This is a 1TB drive that contains a working webserver. I would like to insert this into my VM system and use it as the sole hard drive for a VM.

Proxmox Environment:
Dell R510 with 8 drive bays
24GB Ram
2x Intel Xeon Quad Core Processors

How can I add this to a drive bay and use it and all its files/OS etc in a Proxmox VM instance?

Do you want to virtualize and run the machine as VM guest? If so you can do that using Clonezilla. You can also give the machine's physical drive to be seen by a guest like this (on the host):

Code:
qm set <id of your VM> -virtio<n> /dev/<physical drive>

To virtualise the machine, boot it using Clonezilla and make a image of it to an external drive. Create a VM in Proxmox and give that the external drive (with the Clonezilla image on it) to Proxmox using “qm set <id> -virtio1 /dev/<drive>”. Boot that VM from a Clonezilla ISO and restore from the external drive. In Clonezilla, choose manual mounting of disk to /home/partimag and restore.

When you reboot, you should now have your old physical machine existing inside a virtual world. Like in Tron.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!