hard drive copy anomalies

cabling

Jun 19, 2018
Hello friends,

I need help, I don't understand what's happening.

I have a vm with a hard disk of 1 tb, inside I have an installer a windows server 2016, this only occupies 300 gbs.

4 days ago the backup started to fail, there is a disk error. I tried to clone the mv but it also does not leave for bad sectors.

I have picked up an old copy and copied the hard drive, but weird things happen.

The copy also fails when it reaches the bad sectors, but apparently it copies it.

When I start the new mv I don't see any problems, that is, it works correctly.

The problem is, when I make a backup of this new mv, the old copy occupies 240 gb and is 80 gb.

What happened?

regards

When I start the new mv I don't see any problems, that is, it works correctly.
You think that. But under the hood you might still be in trouble, because you likely not have accessed the affected blocks.
If you have block corruption - go fix the HW underneath. It will come an bite you later on otherwise.

The problem is, when I make a backup of this new mv, the old copy occupies 240 gb and is 80 gb.
I can imagine 240GB are a valid backup (assuming that there is some efficiency due to compression, etc.)
But I wouldn't trust the backups as of now as well (80GB). All that you have been describing makes me very nervous about data integrity.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!