HA if VM has already been stut down

Whatever

Renowned Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hello there,

just short questing concerning HA in case when VM is already shut down:
using shared datastore, 3 nodes cluster and fencing i was expected that if one of PVE nodes dies (and successfully isolated with fencing) the VM (config) will reappear on one of the remaining nodes. But this is only true when the VM is started.

Is there any way to have HA even for non started VMs?

Thanks in advance

what do you mean: "does not really make sense"? :confused:

my case:

I've got several (tens) VM with different OS (different versions, x64, x86, etc) in order to test the software we are developing. It's obvious that there is no need to have all the VMs running 24/7.

As far as I understood from your reply, if the node that hosts VM (even if VM is configured with HA but powered off) dies there is no way to start VM on another node?

Hmm.. really confused with the idea behind HA ...

[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

I guess I you can not run VM you need even if you have all the data (disks) avalible on datastore it is a downtime as well, isn't it?

Ok, what would you suggest to use/do/change in my case? only backup/recovery?

Ok, what would you suggest to use/do/change in my case? only backup/recovery?

Simply replace a damaged node?

Or simply move the config file to the correct node:

# mv /etc/pve/nodes/<oldnode>/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf /etc/pve/nodes/<newnode>/qemu-server/

tnx, dietmar
well, if it's just so easy why this is function does not already exit nor in the to-do list? any drowbacks? :)

well, if it's just so easy why this is function does not already exit nor in the to-do list?

Replacing a damaged node is a physical task - not possible with software ;-)

any drowbacks?

You need to make sure that <oldnode> is offline - else it is dangerous because you can run the VM on two nodes afterwards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!